Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone SS White Rim in a Day?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SlowerThenSnot 
#1 ·
Im thinking that I want to do the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands this spring in one day on my steel 29er SS. Anyone done it under similar circumstances?

#4 ·
huskers254 said:
From my recollection of the trail (often foggy) it is doable. I think I would gear so that I wasn't so spun out on all of the relatively flat long sections. A good part of the steep climbs you would probably walk anyway so you might as well have some speed on the flats.

-T
It is a loooong ways for sure, but relatively easy terrain wise it would seem. You suggest bigger than 2;1? I currently ride 32 x 18 on a 29er and feel undergeared much of the time but overall it works pretty well for the mix of rolling terrain where I usually ride. I currently can only cruise at about 13 - 14 mph on the flats without spinning madley.

#5 ·
Lots of times. 32x18 on a 29er is probably a good gear for most people. A 20t would leave you pretty spun out most of the ride. If you want to go as fast as possible (ie under 8 hours C2C) you'll probably have to gear bigger.

There is between 6-7k feet of climbing in the loop though only a few "big" climbs in either direction. I think clockwise is faster/easier.

#6 ·
Last time I did it was SS, 30:18 on the Karate Monkey, something like 11 hours at a casual pace. We camped at the bottom of Horsethief and rode clockwise, which is probably the easiest way. I cleaned everything except the final ~200 yards of Murphy's and two stretches up Hardscrabble that totalled 50 yards max.

Do it, it's such a fun ride. Bring the camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.