Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My SS project

3K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  120 
#1 ·
I've been wanting a SS bike for some time now, however being a single income family with two kids, and my oldest daughter needing a new bike, buying another bike for me is out of the question. So yesterday I decided to pulled down some boxes of old parts (when it comes to bicycles, I throw out very little), dust off an old frame and see what I could come up with.

Here's what I have so far. Do you remember the ninety's? This bike sure does. The frame is a KHS Montana Comp. I've held on to this because when I met my wife I was on hard times and had to sell my Kline and she gave me this as a birthday present while we were just dating. Anyway, the forks are Manitou 2's. Cranks are Topline. Levers are Avid Single Digit 2.0's. Brake canti's are Shimano XT. Hubs are Deore DX with Ringle skewers. Diacomp Aheadset. Controltech seatpost, and a no name stem, and bar. I even dug up some titanium bolts for the brakes and cranks.

She's currently set up with a 36t chainring and a 14t cog. I need to scrounge up some rims I can lace up, and buy some grips, and pedals. Then I'll be set.

See less See more
#4 ·
umarth said:
I think it is impossible that this turns out badly.
farrisw1 said:
I agree with that! And would like to add, WOW, that is closing in on being nicer than the bike I just built with "brand new" parts!!
Thanks guys.

Rims are proving to be a bit of a challenge. Earlier in the year I clean out my garage and took a bunch of wheels, rims, misc. parts, and two complete bikes to a small LBS that deals in used bikes and I donated all the stuff to them. Today I went to see what they had in stock. They still had one of the sets of rims that I gave to them (the same exact pair that was on the frame I am building up), when I asked about them they told me that they were $25.00 a piece. I spoke directly to the owner and he wouldn't budge on the price. Needless to say I left and won't be going back.:madmax:

#7 ·
mustridebike said:
Thanks guys.

Rims are proving to be a bit of a challenge. Earlier in the year I clean out my garage and took a bunch of wheels, rims, misc. parts, and two complete bikes to a small LBS that deals in used bikes and I donated all the stuff to them. Today I went to see what they had in stock. They still had one of the sets of rims that I gave to them (the same exact pair that was on the frame I am building up), when I asked about them they told me that they were $25.00 a piece. I spoke directly to the owner and he wouldn't budge on the price. Needless to say I left and won't be going back.:madmax:
man they totally screwed you over. anyways the bike shops around here do a similar thing, i ask to see there spare parts bin and they tell me they dont have one, two shops to me this when I know for a fact that they have one.

#12 ·
Okay, I found some rims. There really on the cheap end (Alex x202's for $28.00 shipped), but the idea of this bike is to build it with as little out of wallet cost as possible. I went through my part boxes and came up with the spokes that I need. Now it's time to tear down the hubs for a good servicing.

#16 · (Edited)
forkboy said:
Ummmmm.....

You gonna take that thing offroad?

That's a pretty big ratio...
Right, started thinking about that myself, after all we do live on a hill so climbing is inevitable. So I did some playing around with the Magic Gear Calculator and using the cogs I have available I switched it out to a 36/23 (1.57:1). That's the best fit chain wise. I'd like to use a 19 and shorten the chain by a link, but I haven't been able to dig one up yet. I did find some brake cables, so I won't need to buy those. That's helps, especially since my wife had to layout $300.00 for eyeglasses yesterday.

#17 ·
mustridebike said:
Okay, I found some rims. There really on the cheap end (Alex x202's for $28.00 shipped), but the idea of this bike is to build it with as little out of wallet cost as possible. I went through my part boxes and came up with the spokes that I need. Now it's time to tear down the hubs for a good servicing.
ooo yea service the hell outta those hubs!!!:p

#23 ·
CB2 said:
A half link is different than a power link. A power link connects two female sides whereas a half link conects a male to a female if that makes any sense. Here is a half link:

I had good luck with a half link and my '96 Stumpjumper.
I had a set of Toplines back in the day too.
Broke 'em. All 140 lbs of me.
Right, thanks much. I got that figured out with some searching.

#24 ·
mustridebike said:
Thanks guys.

Next time, try to find a local bicycle co-op and donate the parts to them that way someone who is also on a budget will be using them and a shop wont just be getting free parts to sell off.

I think this post might go well in the vintage forum but those guys will rip you apart for going SS and not just restoring it.

#25 ·
Back from my run to JensonUSA. I was able to pick up a pair of IRC Mythos XC Slicks with folding bead, Grips, Jamis Flatboy pedals (a bit heavy for the bike, but since I want to be able to ride in any shoes they'll work great), and a 1/2 link all for $50.00.

I put the 1/2 link on as soon as I got back and was able to change out the cog to a 21t (1.71:1 ration). This allowed for the axle to fit all the way into the dropouts, and still give excellent chain tension.

Now if those darn rims would hurry up and get here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.