Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any Kona Big Unit owners?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  slowridemo 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was thinking about building up the 2010 Big Unit frame this winter....how do you like your 09's....or random thoughts on the idea? thanks

#3 ·
Sorry my unit is only a 2-9, not big... I like the dropouts for the very same reason. I run 1x9 right now on it, but in a few years it will be upgraded to singlespeed. My paint is a bit weak, but for the price it is fine. I will probably get it powder coated in a few years. I like the idea of a lighter Unit with front suspension.

#9 ·
My 09 Big Unit rode really well. Pretty much raced it only but it did a few 50-60 milers to go with the shorter cross country stuff. I ran it rigid with a pace fork. It was comfortable and took off quick when putting the power down. Had several crashes where the bar spun around and hit the toptube. Chipped the paint and really bent the brake levers, but no dents or anything else to the frame. My 20" frame weighed 4 lbs exactly.

For reference I've owned these 29ers: original kona unit 29 and explosif 29, lynskey pro29, zion 29 ss, and a brief stint with a karate monkey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.