Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carbon Single Speed Bike Frame 2010 Battle

23K views 65 replies 39 participants last post by  metrotuned 
#1 ·
Single Speed, Twenty Nine Inches, and gasp... Carbon Fiber. The material that early adopters and counter-cultural rebels probably never thought would be associated with SS and 29er mountain bikes. Since we don't have levitating skateboards highlighted twenty years ago in Hollywood circa '89, I suppose this will suffice. The roadies are gonna be envious, the 2010 battle has begun with carbon fiber single speed 29er bikes.

"The big S" found posted on MTBR behind the scenes at the Specialized offices that to the common eye, appeared to be a Fisher Superfly painted over with art deco pastel Specialized logos:

"Superfly" found posted by howard.dylanbike of "dave's 18lb carbon superfly ss" with the titan uranus seatpost. The first to hit with their carbon 29ers, with a number of MTBR members converting their geared Superflys to single speed. GF listened and released the SS specific Superfly's to industry insiders, selling for as high as $2500 on ebay for frame only.

"Niner", with its ear to the MTBR forums, tops everything, throwing up a bit middle finger to all the non-believers with its original all carbon rigid fork seen in the SSWC 2008 race, taking its cues from the road carbon technology, and applying to an MTB specific design, finally the enthusiasts see a complete carbon frameset that is cohesive and aesthetically blended, full respect. Stunning, really. Niner 2010 owns: All Your carbon 29er SS are belong to us!

See less See more
#4 ·
The final Stumpy looks much better than those preproduction photos. And it comes with a custom tapered Reba with a carbon crown.

I generally would not choose anything Specialized over Fisher or Niner, but Niner does not have any established history for their carbon frames, and Fisher keeps skimping and leaving the 'Fly as a non-OCLV frame that seems to be much more prone to failure than their competitors or their even own OCLV frames. Not only that but the 2010 Superfly SS is currently unavailable due to the dropout fiasco.

#13 ·
boomn said:
The final Stumpy looks much better than those preproduction photos. And it comes with a custom tapered Reba with a carbon crown.

I generally would not choose anything Specialized over Fisher or Niner, but Niner does not have any established history for their carbon frames, and Fisher keeps skimping and leaving the 'Fly as a non-OCLV frame that seems to be much more prone to failure than their competitors or their even own OCLV frames. Not only that but the 2010 Superfly SS is currently unavailable due to the dropout fiasco.
Speaking of "dropout fiasco", it looks like Specialized also has taken a poor design choice for a SS bike...

#20 ·
boomn said:
So far, I have had great luck on my Flys - the '08 didn't even scratch on my last wreck - can't say as much for my leg:madman: Riding in my aircast now!

Not sure what Fisher had in mind for the dropouts - my '09 with track ends is a trouble-free ride. They just should have put that into production.

The Spec is a beaut, though...

#22 ·
Superflyguy said:
Hey! I do believe that is my superfly on parade here. That was at day of endurance a few weeks back. Singlespeed Victory! Ok whatever. I havent had any issues with my dropouts. What is actually going on?
The 2010 version with mini sliding dropouts was not tested properly and was slipping for many people. Fisher is not selling the frame right now until they design something new. There is a thread here

#24 ·
there is also the extended controversy over sliding dropouts on a SS-Racer intended bike...since quick release skewers were not possible, it seemed like bolting the rear wheel in place was not the most ideal way to race since it took more time to fix a rear flat....don't get me wrong, the Superfly is one sick light frame with awesome geometry numbers, just that sliding dropouts gave it a little -1 on the racer's edge according to the hardcore.

#25 ·
donmeredith74 said:
I have to go with the Niner. It speaks to me.
yes...that is a beauty...

all carbon...even the steerer tube!!

well thought out and it even uses their better version of an EBB....makes selecting the right gear just that simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.