Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Before I place this order, any other steel hardtail frames I need to consider?

970 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Biggie 
#1 ·
I'm building up a bike for the wife over the winter. It'll be a 1x9/SS steel hardtail bike (26" wheels). Probably going rigid.

Anyway, seems like the Inbred is the best way to go? She's not a hard core biker, so I'm not looking for 853/OX/etc. Just a good ol'4130. At $300, I think the Inbred is the best out there, correct? Any others I should consider?

Conditions:

- No EBB
- Steel
- 26" wheels

It'll probably be shod with 1.9" slicks most of the time.

Thanks for any input. I do like the new Inbred color.

See less See more
#3 ·
if you're going geared you don't need horizontal dropouts at all...
(you're also in the wrong forum but whatever)
I'd say aim for closeout sales on jamis dragon or other 853 reynolds frames!
(salsa alacarte probably easy to find too)
I just got a surly 1x1 frame for 249 USD (well the wife bought it for me...)

there's no shortage of older, geared steel hardtail frames bouncing around with a higher grade tubeset that the Inbred.
(nothing wrong with the inbred, but for me, horizontal drops are for SS use, if you're going to run gears, why bother?)

#5 ·
Oh, crap. Thought I was in General Discussions. Sorry about that. Thanks for the links. The P7 looks nice. I totally forgot about the Jamis deal. That seems to be a much better deal.

byknuts - I actually want to be able to run both SS/1x9, so that's why I was considering those frames. And I'm also looking to build up a 1x1 over the winter for myself. I missed the 18" 1x1's at bikeman.com. Time to start searching ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.