Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain tensioner for broken derailleur hanger?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  p nut 
#1 ·
Hey out there - my nephew broke the derailleur hanger on his bike, and it's not replaceable (it's part of the drop out). The bike has vertical drop outs. The frame is nice and worth salvaging. The only option I see is to convert to SS, and he's excited about that. Are there there any tensioners out there that bolt into the QR on the rear axle? I know there are some that attach to the chainstay, but they look a bit flimsy. Any other options? Thanks

#4 ·
Way to be thankful for the help:skep:

That Yess tensioner is the only one I've seen that doesn't attach to the hanger and actually works well. There are other options besides tensioners (WI eccentric hub, forward components EBB) but they are all more expensive.

There are tensioners that go on the QR, but the QR clamping force alone isn't enough to hold a tensioner from rotating so they all use a second bolt into the derailleur hanger to tighten it in place after adjusting.

If all else fails, try to find a magic gear

#5 ·
Didn't intend for that to come across rude. The cost is more than the bike's probably worth is all. I'm considering picking up a replaceable hanger that is close to matching the dimension of the drop out and then busting out the dremel, file and drill and seeing if I can mount a replaceable hanger on the drop out - otherwise the magic gear may be the best option.

#7 ·
Try the magic "ratio" (ask the forum if anyone has found one for your frame). If that's not feasible, I've seen hangers sucessfully "grafted" to the broken stub. Find the correct drill size, then use Shimano chain pins to attach the piece (OS Bikes by Mark Slate uses this method on their SS/geared frame).

#11 ·
#12 ·
Vtolds said:
This should work good. The bolt only acts as a pivot so as long as the skewer is nice and tight there shouldn't be a issue with that tensioner or one like it. Avoid a spring loaded tensioner, they rarely work and wont work at all for your situation.
kinda... the skewer actually acts as the pivot and the bolt is what provides the primary clamping force. The zip-tie is what will provide the clamping force in this new case. Sorry, I'm too pedantic sometimes

#13 ·
boomn said:
kinda... the skewer actually acts as the pivot and the bolt is what provides the primary clamping force. The zip-tie is what will provide the clamping force in this new case. Sorry, I'm too pedantic sometimes
I bet your right. I own one of these tensioners, but I only ran it once before I geared my bike so the memory is a bit fuzzy. Zip tie it up that should work. You should have a look at ebay or craigs list for a used frame, might find one for as much as the tensioner costs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.