Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Please help pick my new singlespeed

983 views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  S.O.B. 
#1 ·
hello!

So i've been looking online for the best deal and best quality for that deal. This is the specs im looking for:

SingleSpeed hardtail Mountain bike
disk brakes
rigid or front suspension only
29er (optional)
under $600 or wife kills me.

so far i looked at so many single speeds, from motobecane, to surly, Haro, specialized and so on. I guess the best price ive found is the 2010 motobecane oucast 29er, basecally everything i want in the bike, for $500. I just need to know if i should go with that bike, or if theres some bike out there in this world that meats my needs. I am new to SS, so i guess the motobecane is the right deal, i just dont want it to be a complete waste.

If someone knows of a bike, please tell me, i have one month from today to decide and buy. Thank you guys, i promise what ever i buy, i will post pics here.

#5 ·
I got the 09' Motobecane full rigid, rim brakes. $350 with free delivery and it's been sweet. Upgraded a few items, but nothing important, and it's been bombproof. I originally bought it to try SS out and to train on, but I've raced it all season. Three six hour races, several USCA races and tons of trail rides, and not a single mechanical (other than flats). The handling is amazing, and I can't tell you how many carbon race bikes I've ridden past. I can't comment on the 2010, it has the same frame but has the shock and disc brakes.

#6 ·
I had an Moto Outcast. Hated the frame (aluminum). Went to a Monocog. Much better. You can get yourself a Monocog for way under the $600 figure and use the rest for upgrades. The stock components, for all bikes mentioned, is pretty much all subpar. My '08 will be getting a new headset, BB, and cranks this winter.

#7 ·
p nut said:
I had an Moto Outcast. Hated the frame (aluminum). Went to a Monocog. Much better. You can get yourself a Monocog for way under the $600 figure and use the rest for upgrades. The stock components, for all bikes mentioned, is pretty much all subpar. My '08 will be getting a new headset, BB, and cranks this winter.
One thing i dont understand, and im not trying to act like i know it all when im asking for help in the 1st place, but i see in forums people wanting the lightest possible bike, even the rubber of the wheels have to be ultra light, but i would think a frame being aluminum would be the best thing on a bike to make it extra light, dont get it. Please explain why an aluminum frame is not as good as a steel when it comes to weight.

#8 ·
SSnoob said:
One thing i dont understand, and im not trying to act like i know it all when im asking for help in the 1st place, but i see in forums people wanting the lightest possible bike, even the rubber of the wheels have to be ultra light, but i would think a frame being aluminum would be the best thing on a bike to make it extra light, dont get it. Please explain why an aluminum frame is not as good as a steel when it comes to weight.
Has nothing to do with weight. It has to do with the material. Aluminum doesn't really flex, it isn't compliant. It therefore transmits every bit of shock right into the rider. It's a harsh ride compared to steel.

Point 2: Aluminum and steel will both flex (aluminum noticeably less so) but while steel can flex repeatedly and not lose strength, aluminum fatigues, eventually cracks, and fails.

Point 3: When I said weight had nothing to do with it, I lied. Sometimes more weight = more inertia = you can steamroller right through something that has a very light bike bouncing every which way underneath the rider.

FWIW, the debate regarding what materials are best for making bike frames is heated and goes back a long long way. For every guy who loves steel, there's another who pipes up about the virtues of Titanium or Carbon, or what have you. Most agree that Aluminum has a harsh ride, and it a poor choice for anything other than a FS bike.

Ride a few different bikes and see what you think.

PS: I love my monocog. It has proven to be an exceptionally versatile bike. Climbs well, handles great, commuter, trail bike, single, dingle, frankencross, it just does it all well. I hear similar things about the Surly 1x1.

#9 ·
p nut said:
That's why I ended up getting a Monocog Flight 29. All those parts are already (somewhat) upgraded plus better wheels and BB5 disc brakes for $750. Now if only the hubs had more engagement points...

#13 ·
I recently picked up a '09 Peace 9'r demo for cheap. I love the bike, but I wouldn't pay full msrp for it, not worth it. The Monocog is nice too. The Haro Mary is spec'd really well. With most of these 'under $1000' bikes, plan to invest in a rear hub at some point down the road. Most of the hubs are Formula brand (often rebranded as something else.) These hubs eventually die, often sooner than later.

I wouldn't make the 29er part optional. Get a 29er.

#14 ·
sunset1123 said:
Most agree that Aluminum has a harsh ride, and it a poor choice for anything other than a FS bike.

I dont agree, aluminum frames dont bother me whatsoever. I actually prefer the stiffness of AL over steel, it just feels faster to me. I run real high air pressure, so no matter what i ride, it'll feel harsh.
However, i do hate the shelf life. I can only get a year or two out of them before they crack, typically on the seat tube.

#16 ·
I have a Soul Cycles Hooligan AL frame SS (26er). I love that bike! I only built it up earlier this year but recently completed a 6 hr race. Sure I felt sore for almost a week afterward, but then it was my first ever 6 hr race (I can't even remember driving in a car that fast). I do have an AL full-suspension but I like the SS better.

FWIW I built an AL SS road bike...hated the stiffnes and bought a steel IRO frame, such a smooth ride in comparison. I think Steel over AL on the road is even more significant due to the material under the tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.