Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which of these would you pick?

2K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  08HardRock 
#1 ·
I would like to revisit my new commuter choice. Some things were discovered, I want to go with a particular brand. So which would you pick? My commute consists of sidewalk, slightly broken up or cracked in areas; I also go over some loose gravel/packed dirt. But I assume both frames and wheels can handle that. The issue would be the tires on option 1, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong) would have to be replaced right off the bat. Option 1 seems to have better components, and is lighter (+$180); but option 2 seems ready for my commute as is.
Thank you for you insight and expertise.

Option 1

Alta Velocità corsa Alu 6061
Fork: cr-mo TIG 1”-1/8 Integrated
Gear: Shimano 2200
Front derailleur: Shimano 2200
Rear Derailleur: Shimano ST EF60 24V
Chainwheel: BTC alu TS 52-42-30
B.B. set: VP cartuccia sealed B.B
Brakes: BTC alu racing
Wheels: Bottecchia BTC Racing
Tyres: CST 700x23
Handlebar: BTC alu rised
Stem: alu ahead adjustable
Seat post: BTC alu
Saddle: Royal Viper with bag
Pedals: Road alu
Sizes: 48 - 51 - 54 - 57 sloping
Colours: dark chrome
Weight: Kg. 11,000

Option 2

Frame: Alu hydrosculpture
Fork: Steel integrated
Gear: Shimano Acera
Front derailleur: Shimano TZ
Rear Derailleur: Shimano ST EF60 21V
Freewheel: Shimano TZ 077
Chainwheel: BTC alu TS 110 52-42-30
B.B. set: VP cartuccia sealed B.B.
Brakes: Alu BTC
Tyres: TRK 700x35
Hubs: w/front+rear q.r. black
Handlebar: Alu BTC over hydrosculpture rised
Stem: Alu BTC regolabile adjustable ahead set
Seat post: Alu BTC
Saddle: Royal Freccia
Pedals: TRK alu
Sizes: 48 - 52 - 56 c-f / m-e man
Colours: silver satin
Weight: Kg. 12,400

See less See more
#5 ·
Its an Italian brand, been around for some time. My hope is that someone more knowledgeable than I, could offer some insight based on the details provided.

#7 ·
Yeah, I do like how the second is ready to go; but I do already have a rack. And I will need lights if I plan on commuting into the winter. Which is why I'm stuck b/n the 2. One seems slightly more equipped, but the other seems better overall. Option 2 seems to have similar components to my Hardrock, which are fine but nothing special (unless I'm misjudging things).

#9 ·
Hardrock does the job, but its a bit heavy and I'd like to go with a rigid. Plus I want to turn the Hardrock back into a trail bike; I hate having to swap the tires back and forth, as well as taking the rack off/putting it on.

#10 ·
I'd Go Option 1

23mm are plenty for what you describe. Sidewalk, gravel, light trails...no problem.

I learned to ride off road on a road race bike with 700x23 tires and rode trails with them that people now days seem to think full suspension is manditory for.

#11 ·
Shayne said:
23mm are plenty for what you describe. Sidewalk, gravel, light trails...no problem.

I learned to ride off road on a road race bike with 700x23 tires and rode trails with them that people now days seem to think full suspension is manditory for.
Is this an overall consensus? 23 is straight up road bike, isnt it? Seems like I'd be begging for flats, and I dont think the frame would be happy either.
But, again, I'm not sure; which is why I'm asking.
Thanks!!

#12 ·
23c is too skinny for commuting. You want something bigger and tougher that will be more resistant to puncture flats and less likely to pinch flat if you let the tire pressure get too low. Also, a commuting bike should have fenders, and the permanent, full-coverage fenders work better as they provide more protection and are more durable.

Bike #1 is just a toy, bike #2 is a tool for commuting.

That said, I agree with the above people: put a rigid fork on your HardRock and turn it into your commuter and then spend your $$ on a nice new MTB. We're getting close to the end of the off-road riding season here anyway so you could just save up your pennies until spring for the new MTB.

#13 ·
Fenders were never really a concern since I dont ride in the rain. Plus, I'm set on getting a Bottecchia. I found out that I'm a relative of who the bike is named after (2 time Tour de France winner).
I have a way to get to a nice bike path, but I still need to ride some sidewalk to get there. I like option 1 better, but I think option 2 is better equipped for commuting and carrying my gear.

#14 ·
If you only ride on dry days, you must not do much committing. You've never gone to work on a nice sunny day only to have it turn rainy and wet later?

Yeah, my best friend and riding buddy from high school's last name is Felt. Surely only Felt brand bicycles are right for me. Everyone here is recommending either your Hard Rock or "option 2". Why ask for advice if you're going to ignore it? If you really like bike #1 then just get it and quit trying to justify it to yourself.

Good luck with that.

#15 ·
The Frame Wont Care

Your body might care depending on what you're used to.

I don't see how tire size relates to flats. If you're purpously hitting rock gardens or searching out piles of broken glass in the street then maybe you need something heavy duty but I have no problem with flats commuting 45 miles a day on 20-23mm tires.

#16 ·
For the most part, rain is pretty scattered around here so I've never been caught in a downpour. The times I've been caught out in the rain, I've dealt with it and havent had issues.
You're saying that if you had a relative who won the Tour and had a brand of bike named after him; you wouldnt want to own that brand of bike, thats fine. But for me, adding that bit of family history to something I already love, is a no-brainer.
I never said that I'm disregarding people's advice. I'm still between the 2, all I said is that I prefer option 1; buts its not necessarily the best for the job. So I'm caught between what I feel is an overall better bike and one that may be more functional.

#17 ·
08HardRock said:
Hardrock does the job, but its a bit heavy and I'd like to go with a rigid. Plus I want to turn the Hardrock back into a trail bike; I hate having to swap the tires back and forth, as well as taking the rack off/putting it on.
Quite understandable.

If you get a bike that comes with 23mm tires, it`s a good idea to make sure there`s room for a little more rubber in case you don`t like the 23s. If you can swap in a pair of 32s, it could very well be the difference between loving hte bike and not wanting anything to do with it. You`ll probably be able to do that on a hybrid, but that isn`t the case on a lot of road bikes- worth checking into.

#18 · (Edited)
Lets say I throw the rack of option 1 (which I already own), put on some 700x28 tires (which I assume will fit and be appropriate for commuting), i.e. level the playing field as far as accessories. Is option 1 an overall better bike? I'm not too familiar with option 1's components as I believe they are for road bikes. Plus, I'm having a hard time researching the bikes overall, since they are european.
Thanks again, fellas!!

#20 ·
This commuter rides on sidewalks. Not worth hoping that the guy riding in a 3000lb projectile at 50mph is paying attention. Whether I'm riding in the street or on the sidewalk, I'm still commuting by bike instead of by car; so I dont really care what real commuters do.

#21 ·
08HardRock said:
This commuter rides on sidewalks. Not worth hoping that the guy riding in a 3000lb projectile at 50mph is paying attention. Whether I'm riding in the street or on the sidewalk, I'm still commuting by bike instead of by car; so I dont really care what real commuters do.
:thumbsup:

Well, the first one appears to be missing half the spokes. I have no idea what BTC racing wheels are, so maybe they`re up to rolling you over broken pavement with skinny little tires, but I wouldn`t hold my breath. And it weighs in pretty light for a relatively low end bike- makes me wonder what kind of diet it was put on. I don`t think I`d want it.

The second one has black hubs. I guess they can fit more spoke holes in a black hub than in a BTC Racing hub. You also know for a fact that there`s room for tires bigger than 23mm. I suppose that would get my vote if for no other reason than it has spokes and it fits more comfy tires if needed.

#22 ·
Thank you very much.
When you say "relatively low end"; is this based on the specs? Seems to be about 24lbs, that doesnt seem unreasonably light to me; am I mistaken?

#23 ·
It might be a fine bike. The drivetrain group isn't high end. Shimano's Alivios aren't lusted after.

I wouldn't worry about the bike. You are set on the bikes, they are what they are, and you ride how you ride. I'm sure it'll work out just the way you would want.

#24 ·
08HardRock said:
It is legal in some areas and sometimes it's the safest way to go. I've been known to hop a curb or two, now and then to get away from someone who obviously isn't paying attention, or get through an intersection that has a high accident rate.

#25 ·
08HardRock said:
Thank you very much.
When you say "relatively low end"; is this based on the specs? Seems to be about 24lbs, that doesnt seem unreasonably light to me; am I mistaken?
Yes.
No. I guess it isn`t out of line compared to "modern" bikes- it`s just lighter than my bikes. A lot lighter than my commuter and worlds lighter than my previous commuter. I still wouldn`t feel secure on low spoke count wheels. The second one really doesn`t say anything useful about the wheels, but at least I can see from the pic that they have plenty of spokes.

#26 ·
For what it`s worth...

there`s no shortage of low end on my bikes. I absolutely love my $120 Sugino crankset, my daily rider sports 15 year old Exage derailers (low end 15 years ago) that still work flawlessly, and I finally replaced the old STX rear derailler on our tandem- not for function, but because I want that shiny three pound hunk of polished aluminum hanging off my double butted Ishiwata road frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.