Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

650b Wheelset?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  boomn 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I finally saved up enough money for a 650b wheelset; I've got about $500 for just the wheels. The wheels will be going a Bianchi SASS and I want the rear wheel to be a flip flop fixed gear so I will be going with a canti u brake on the rear (a SASS is disc specific, but the rear bridge is drilled) so the rim needs to be rim brake compatible. I do not have the need for a SS specific rear wheel, so I prefer a regular 6 bolt disc hub, with plans on drilling a cog for the fixed side and spacers on the freehub for the free side. My first idea was to see if I could buy a 650b set off a Haro Beasley; depending on the price, I wouldn't be too adverse to the SS hub, but it would have to be the set with the Weinmann rims, because one version uses WTB Laser disc rims, that are not rim brake compatible. Next, is a custom XT/ Velocity Dyad set that looks to price out at about $380.00. Finally, Stans no tubes makes a 650b wheelset for $440.00. The Stans hub is a rebranded cartridge bearing style and the rims are of course tubleess ready, but their are no tubeless 650b tires yet on the market; but they would work fine with tubes.

So any other ideas out there or preferences/tweaks to my above brain storming. I'm leaning toward the Stan wheels, but I'm not really set on anything..

edited per boomn; said Blunt rim s/b Dyad

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Wish I Were Riding said:
I vote XT/Dyad. I'm scared of Stan's 355's, but I weigh 180lbs. What about the Sun CR18 rims? TNC had great success with them before switching to Voleicty's new P35.
I chose the Dyad because I was using a build-your-own-wheel calculator and the blunt was the only 650b rim brake rim they had.

edited per boomn; said Blunt rim s/b Dyad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.