Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need a build list...

593 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  adubb25 
#1 ·
hello all,

i currently ride a kona coiler deelux...perfect bike for what i used to ride quite often. now i am a resident of a metro area with tons-o-trails. because of my change in location i have decided to build up a Surly 1x1 single speed. with this said i need help in creating a build list for my project. i am looking for a "modest" build for i am not a weight weenie. i am have one issue at hand, i am 240lbs and not afraid of falling. strength and durability is a necessity!!!

please fill in the blanks with recommendations and/or change my current choices...

Frame Surly 1x1 22"
Fork Surly
Stem Truvativ Holzfeller
Handlebars Truvativ Holzfeller
Grips Oury Lock-on
Brakes Hayes 9
Crankset Truvativ Hussefelt
BB Truvativ Howitzer
Chain
Cogs 32t/16t
Pedals Easton Flatboys
Wheelset
Tires WTB WeirWolf
Seat WTB Pure V
Seatpost

my biggest issue is that on the drivetrain...i need knowledge, opinions and suggestions...

thank you all,
adam

See less See more
#8 ·
get an unramped chainring, and a true singlespeed cog. as for the chain, a decent 8 speed or bmx chain will work. you dont want to use chainrings and cogs from a geared bike because they will kick your chain off all the time. Also, you're going to want some chain tugs so your wheel doesnt move forward on you when you're climbing.

#10 ·
Looks like you have a crank and I assume it is as good as anything, cause I don't know. I'd pick up chainring, cog and tug from ISuckAtRiding, pick up an 8 speed SRAM chain. Spacer kit.. do you make spacers, ISAR?

I just have spacers from the performancebike kit.

#12 ·
umarth said:
Looks like you have a crank and I assume it is as good as anything, cause I don't know. I'd pick up chainring, cog and tug from ISuckAtRiding, pick up an 8 speed SRAM chain. Spacer kit.. do you make spacers, ISAR?

I just have spacers from the performancebike kit.
thanks for the plug!:)
i don't make spacers because they're so cheap and you cant really screw them up... i cant even anodize them for the price of the made in china ones lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.