Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First 29er SS advice needed.

878 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  big_slacker 
#1 ·
So i have been bit by the bug!!!! yep it took about 3 rides to get used to my 26" SS that i threw together and im in love!! something about SS is awsome. So now i figure what the hell i like SS as my under 2 hour bike. Might as well threw big wheels in there as well. So 29er SS is what im looking for. But i cant decide. been looking at the
Specialized rockhoper SS
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45808&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253
Cannondale trail 29 SS
http://www3.cannondale.com/bikes/10/cusa/model-0FS295.html
Fisher Rig
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/rig-single-speed
I would like to keep it under the price of the rig but i hear fishers g2 is worth a little extra coin. I would like it to have a front squishy unless it saves alot of money, So please help me spend my money on the right thing. Want to get this right the first time. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Out of those three, I'd go with the Specy or the Rig....but I love my Haro Mary SS Rigid. Can always throw a Reba or Tora on it later. For rough trails the front squishy with a lockout would be the way to go. How do they feel to you when you test rode them?

#5 ·
The Rockhopper is not steel - it is M4 Alloy (Aluminum with some addititives...) An M4 frame is going to be as stiff as basically any other Aluminum frame. The only "Aluminum" that might be a bit more forgiving is a Scandium-alloyed frame - the material has properties bit more like steel, so it can be drawn thinner than normal Alu and still be strong enough - the thinner material allows a bit more flex. Ride a bunch of bikes. I have a Raleigh XXIX, but try the Haro Mary and the Redline Monocog (The Monocog Flight is Alu frame)The Redline's a bit stiff, IMO but a nice bike that is a good value. The Mary is a bit more $$ but spec'd nicely, and the XXIX was what I went with. Get the bike that feels the best to you. Jamis, Kona and a few other full-line companies are carrying steel 29" SS in their line now. Set your max budget, ride what falls within that limit and get the one you like the feel of the best. The parts are all similar enough that you won't feel much difference and you'll probably change and upgrade as things wear out. Have a blast!

#6 ·
I have the 2009 Rockhopper SS. I got a great end-of-season deal on it and I like it a lot; I've been riding it almost every day for 5-6 weeks. I have had some trouble with vibration from the brakes but I see they have upgraded them for the 2010 year, which hopefully will solve the problem. I put a Racing Ralph 2.4 on the front, which improved the ride quality considerably. The other thing I find annoying is that it has only one water bottle holder.

#13 ·
The Diesel said:
Don't think about how much bike you can get for the money, think about how much frame you can get for the money. Everything else can be changed.
true, but the fork that comes on the rig is worth as much as either frame, if not more. to me, that's just as important.

#15 ·
The Diesel said:
True i forgot about the fork! I ride rigid so i forgot about forks all together.

Less is more!
not when all you ride is chunky loose sharp rocks. travel is more. :D
i see enough of my friends suffer on short travel or rigid forks, i love my 100mm!

#17 ·
Ooops! Saw "alloy" and immediately though steel.

My wife's bike is a unit 26" and is awesome. Its my old bike actually. I'm sure the 29" version is awesomer. And the dough saved gives you plenty of $$ for a fox fork. :D

ATBScott said:
The Rockhopper is not steel - it is M4 Alloy (Aluminum with some addititives...) An M4 frame is going to be as stiff as basically any other Aluminum frame. The only "Aluminum" that might be a bit more forgiving is a Scandium-alloyed frame - the material has properties bit more like steel, so it can be drawn thinner than normal Alu and still be strong enough - the thinner material allows a bit more flex. Ride a bunch of bikes. I have a Raleigh XXIX, but try the Haro Mary and the Redline Monocog (The Monocog Flight is Alu frame)The Redline's a bit stiff, IMO but a nice bike that is a good value. The Mary is a bit more $$ but spec'd nicely, and the XXIX was what I went with. Get the bike that feels the best to you. Jamis, Kona and a few other full-line companies are carrying steel 29" SS in their line now. Set your max budget, ride what falls within that limit and get the one you like the feel of the best. The parts are all similar enough that you won't feel much difference and you'll probably change and upgrade as things wear out. Have a blast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.