Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

08 stumpjumper SS?

787 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  hygieneboy 
#1 ·
Ridden a monocog flight, and got hooked.

Will my stumpy feel to flexy to ride SS compared to the flight, is it worth it?

#5 ·
Aluminum frames for the most part will never be too flexy. Aluminum is super stiff and for some people rather uncomfortable compared to steel or other expensive materials.
Still a great way too start.
My first SS was an AL frame and it tossed me around a bunch while in the saddle, did not think it was much of an issue until i tried a few steel and Ti frame and then i realized what i was missing

Jester1911 said:
Ridden a monocog flight, and got hooked.

Will my stumpy feel to flexy to ride SS compared to the flight, is it worth it?

#7 ·
ok, I'm looking at the surly spacers, cog, chainring, using my spare 9 speed chain, and getting a half link just in case.

I have the sliders for my stumpy also.

I'll probably also take my fork back to 80mm to help out some.

The flight seemed to take off when pedaled, where as the stumpy just seems to be sluggish.

#8 ·
Jester1911 said:
ok, I'm looking at the surly spacers, cog, chainring, using my spare 9 speed chain, and getting a half link just in case.

I have the sliders for my stumpy also.

I'll probably also take my fork back to 80mm to help out some.

The flight seemed to take off when pedaled, where as the stumpy just seems to be sluggish.
That just sounds like the difference between SS and geared (it does depend on the SS gearing too) as well as the difference between rigid and susp fork. An SS bike feels more direct when putting power down. Not sure of the best words to describe it, but it sounds like you felt it yourself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.