Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fairy godmother needed...

1K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Orkje 
#1 ·
...to give this pumpkin some wheels!:thumbsup:

While lacing up the wheels, I came to the realization that my hubs were 36H and the rims were 32H! When ordering the rims I assured myself(too lazy to go and look:madman: ) that the hubs were 32H, and ordered rims to match.

I suppose I'll be calling Hope in the morning to get a new set of SS Pro 2s(I can use these hubs for a different project instead).

Bike is planned as a fun, bash around, all weather bike.
Surly 1x1 frame
Surly 1x1 fork
Surly SS seatpost clamp
Thomson seatpost
Selle Italia Flite saddle
Hope headset
Thomson X4 stem
Niner Flat Top 9 handlebar
Avid Speed Dial SL levers
Avid BB7 brakes 7"/6"
Shimano XT cranks(Salsa chainring/bash)
Time pedals
SRAM 890 chain
Hope Pro 2 hubs QR F/SS R
Surly cog
DT Comps/brass nips
Surly Large Marge XC rims
Maxxis Minion 2.7" tires(may have found some 3.0 Gazzas too!)

Anyways, here are the pics of the build so far!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmm...wondering why with that wheelset choice you didn't just go Pugsley?

I am sure it will be a cool build and fun to ride anyway.

I have an old 1x1 I have been tempted to do that with...but once investing in non-offset Marges they don't swap to a Pug or other frame with offset...so I have stalled and looking at other options.

#4 ·
That's a great set up. I ran much the same before Pugs came out. Had a 2.6" Gazza on front and a 2.3" on the rear. The bike would plow through stuff like not other I've ridden since. Wasn't too bad to ride once the wheels were spun up, and it had people doing double takes while out riding. You'll love it. Good show.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the comments, I should have my hubs coming on Friday, so I should have everything done Friday night for my 3 day weekend!

canyonrat,

I decided to go this route because I had many of the parts on hand already, and I couldn't justify the expense of 2 rear hubs, 2 rear brakes and offset Large Marges that were all Pugs specific. If I enjoy the ride of this then maybe later I will be looking into a Fatback or other "fat bike".

I have an SS Stumpy 29er and a Yeti 575, so this is very different from what I'm used to. The rims with the tires installed almost measure 27.5", so does that mean I have a 650B bike?:p

#6 ·
Heh, I have pretty much everything I need to build up my 1x1 frame too...except the rims and spokes. So I totally understand. :yesnod:

Looking forward to seeing your complete build...could be the stoke that puts me over the edge on putting mine back together. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
The bike is just crazy to ride too. The tires are the super tacky version and they grip like none other. I'm sure tread life sucks but we'll see. Just riding the bike is a bouncy ride until you find the right tire pressure for you. I settled around 7 or 8 psi(guage on a floor pump, who knows how accurate that is).

I actually hit the biggest log ride I've ever done on this bike. The log was about 3' tall, and the run up was an 8 inch wide flat log that was quite steep. I also hit a decent sized drop(3' maybe) on this thing and I had no problem with the bike being rigid. I can see how Jeff Jones hits 6' drops on his fatbikes.

I think that the big sticky tires and the profile that the rims give them turn this bike into a tank, or monster truck, or tractor, or all terrain vehicle. For me, this is exactly what I hoped for. I wanted a bike to ride everywhere, log rides, log overs, big rocks, and I found it.

However, the trade off for all these grand qualities, is obviously weight. I will say, if you can keep turning the pedals, this bike will keep going. Just realize that these rims, tires, and tubes add at least 5 pounds of rotating weight. But secretly, that's why it's an SS, so I can puss out and blame my gearing.:p

I can get some more pics with my real camera, if anyone is interested.

#17 ·
Pics incoming soon then, gotta get lunch though.

It was not necessary to cut the entire mount off, just the tab where the spring post from the brake goes into. I may eventually cut the whole mounts off, but I didn't want to go too crazy right away.

#25 ·
ChipV said:
Your stuff is much nicer than my stuff :skep: .
I suppose that's a benefit of working at a bike shop! The bikes are my only true passion though, so that's where my spending money goes.

I got a set of Titec J-bars in today and mounted them up. They look and feel pretty good in a parking lot test. I didn't even change the stem length because I have a shorter torso and longer legs, so I think it may fit me better this way. I will definitely get a ride in Thursday and Sunday, so I may update this then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.