Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SS Chainset with 52mm chainline suitable for CX

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Thor29 
#1 ·
Hi,

First post, I'm from a geared road biking background so forgive my ignorance.

i'm building a SS CX bike. I have 135mm spaced rear track dropouts with a 52mm chainline and a 68mm english BB thread.

I'm struggling to find a single speed chainset with a 52mm chainline. I understood 52mm chainline was the standard for mtb SS but I can’t find any dedicated cranks. Am i looking in the wrong places or do i need to convert a MTB triple.

Thanks in advance - looking forward to joining you SS luddites once i can get this resolved ;)

#2 ·
Any standard mountain bike crankset should work with the chainring on the outer position. You could get a single speed specific crankset, but a lot of times they are identical except that they are shipped with the 32 on the outside and no granny or big ring.

For a cyclocross bike you probably want a larger chainring, so I'd get a square taper road crankset and then match the bottom bracket to your chainline. Sugino and Dimension have cranks that are sold without chainrings. If you can't find the chainline information for a particular crankset, I'd start with a 118mm bottom bracket and then install the cranks and measure the chainline and then replace the bottom bracket if necessary. You can fine tune the chainline using chainring bolt spacers or by switching the chainring from outer to inner position on the spider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.