Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Track ends to gears, anyone done it?

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Borison 
#1 ·
My frame is the On-One Ti Inbred single speed version with no cable stops and track ends. For bikepacking, I got a need for gears.

I know I've seen mention of these here before. Has any one had experience with them? It seems like the conversion can be done on my frame for the rear derailleur with some leftover geared parts I have, this DMR thing and some zipties.

According to the On-one site, the frame should accomodate a triple chainring and front derailleur as that part of the frame is the same as their geared Inbred. I get lost trying to think of how to cable the front derailleur without a cable stop. Any ideas?

Other than accomodating a qr hub, am I missing anything?

#2 ·
i made one for my old PUSS and it seemed to work ok, but i didnt use it very long. The DMZ one is pretty far offset, so it puts the rear deraileur out the thickness of your dropouts, plus the thinckness of that piece. I cannot comment on how that will work with your deraileur travel. I do not know if most RD's have that much limit adjustment. The one i made put the deraileur flush with the dropout. As for the cable stop, i'm sure you can buy one that clamps on, and if not, i can make one.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I may try those DMR tugs. I like That Jabberwocky plug, but my frame wouldn't accommodate the set screws. Too bad, that's a clean solution.

The problem solvers cable stop/guide thing looks like the ticket for the FD. Campredcloudbikes, I'm not clear on your FD solution. I googled "Tektro bolt on cable stop" and just came up with cable hangers for rim brakes.

Umarth, my bikepacking with a SS is more like taking my bike for a hike!

#11 ·
I've hunted and emailed around. Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but has anybody had luck finding a chaintug with a derailleur hanger to fit the On-One Inbred track end? I've heard the DMR MAY work, but I'd rather be a bit more sure before I order something. I'm also concerned, as another member noted, that the chain tug hangs the derailleur pretty far outboard. Any other suggestions? I know, I know already thinking IGH. Thanks

#14 ·
Well in my case, I've already got front and rear derailluers, both shifters, a geared wheel with cassette, and a triple crank. So if I'm not forgetting something, my only outlay would be for a means to hang the rear derailluer, a cable stop for the front derailluer, some zipties, and probably some fresh cables.

As for the internal hub (Alfine?), has it been pronounced as kosher for off-road? I thought reviews were mixed. If so, not something I'd want to take into the Colorado back country for a multiple day trip.

One-one used to have a chain tug with a hanger. I found an old document that described it as: It fits into your horizontal dropouts to allow Gimp (or Jack Flash, or whoever) users to run gears. It's even possible (heaven forbid) to run gears on an Inbred or Pompino with one of these! For Inbred or Pompino use, you need to trim 2mm (ish) off the thickness of the bit that sits in the dropout. Requires the use of a vice and hacksaw. And a file.

A picture:

It looks like it has the offset built into it.

Using just a web search, I couldn't find this On-one tug offered for sale anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.