Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Surly 1x1 fork - correct screw size for fender mounts?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gritter 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me out with this one? I am running an old, v-brake only 1x1 fork on my wife's town bike. I just picked up some Planet Bike fenders for her, and the included screws seem to be the wrong thread pitch (perhaps wrong size?) for the fender/rack mount screw holes on the fork. Can anyone tell me the correct size/pitch for this application?

thanks in advance!

#3 · (Edited)
grundy said:
well, Surly beat you guys to it:

Those eyelets are 5x.8mm. There may be some overspray in the threads so it may be necessary to run a tap through them.
I don't understand this post. I don't understand what Surly beat what guys to what.

10-32. The size of water bottle mounts, fender eyelets, etc - also same size as rackmount equipment. Which is the SAE equivalent to what grundy said. Here is a copy and paste from Sheldon Brown:

"A few sizes are more or less interchangeable between the American and metric systems; particularly useful is #10-32/5 mm. These can generally be interchanged with no problem. This is a common size on bicycles. The eyelets for attaching racks and mudguards to the dropouts are 5-mm-threaded on most of the better-quality bicycles; this size is also used for toe-clip bolts, and various brake and derailer parts. Since 5 mm and #10-32 are essentially the same size, you could buy either size tap, but the American #10-32 size is easier to find and likely to be much cheaper." - Sheldon Brown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.