Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

32T to 34T or 36T?

999 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  umarth 
#1 ·
I just put my single speed together. I'm going to use it mostly for riding to work which is about 2 miles and pretty flat. Right now I'm using a 32/16 combo because that's what came with my SS conversion kit and new cranks. I spin pretty fast in this combo and would like to have it a little harder to pedal so I won't spin so fast. I was thinking of swapping the front to either a 34T or 36T. Would I notice a real difference with the 34 or would it be better to go with the 36?

#5 ·
Again, depending on gradient of the route will affect how much you'll spin or crunch.

For the relatively flat, without long hills for me to climb; I can play with 80-85 gear inches.

My SS trekking is 44:14 magic ratio with a half link, on 700x28c. Works out to 84.1GI.
My old 26"er as a commuter, was 48:16 on 1.5" slicks... a spinny 74.6GI. So to achieve a similar GI as my 700c trekker on the 26"er while running a 16T rear cog, the front chainring would have to be 54T.

Keep in mind; a one tooth difference in the front can't be felt too easily, but a single tooth difference in the rear will make itself felt.

#10 ·
I'm more of a fan of 70 gear inches, assuming you are keeping it to (mostly) paved surfaces. It might be because I like to spin, or I don't like having to mash for thirty seconds to get up to speed after a light or stop sign.

If you are doing some offroad that is flat, run 60.

If you are doing only paved, think about 170mm crank arms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.