Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to make a chainguard ?

621 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ISuckAtRiding 
#1 ·
I want to use my big ring (that I don't use) to make a chainguard for my single speed.
What is the best tool to cut the teeth ?
Is it better to use a jigsaw or is it better to grind it ? With what ?
Experience appreciated.

#5 · (Edited)
If you have access to a 4" or 4.5" grinder, just put a cutoff wheel on it & then use that to trim down the teeth to your liking & then switch back to the grinding wheel for final touch-up.

I was thinking of doing the same thing but have found such great deals on cranksets w/bashguards on eBay that I haven't had to. But I was going to leave a bit of tooth on the chainring to allow pedaling over obstacles instead of making contact & then sliding like the new ones are designed. The older ones had the slightly toothed design. Might still be able to find those as NOS (New Old Stock) but the BCD may not match.

Good luck.

EDIT: Along the same lines, but on a smaller scale, you could also use a Dremel type tool but you'll probably go thru a few cut-off wheels in the process & they're a little expensive. A pack of 10 4.5" cut-off wheels from Harbor Freight is ~$5. A package of 5 Dremel cut-off wheels from Walmart was actually more, IIRC.

#6 · (Edited)
Sometimes said:
If you have access to a 4" or 4.5" grinder, just put a cutoff wheel on it & then use that to trim down the teeth to your liking & then switch back to the grinding wheel for final touch-up.

I was thinking of doing the same thing but have found such great deals on cranksets w/bashguards on eBay that I haven't had to.
Good luck.
I would have rather bought one on eBay too but my cranks are 5 arms110mm bcd. and guards are pretty rare in Australia. I saw some good ones (CX) on eBay but people don't ship overseas !!!!
I was thinking of buying a bench grinder but don't have it yet.
So I'm still gonna try the jigsaw first and do the finishing the best I can...

#7 ·
eric_syd said:
I would have rather bought one on eBay too but my cranks are 5 arms110mm bcd. and guards are pretty rare in Australia. I saw some good ones (CX) on eBay but people don't ship overseas !!!!
I was thinking of buying a bench grinder but don't have it yet.
So I'm still gonna try the jigsaw first and do the finishing the best I can...
I can make you one and i ship to Australia all the time. Check out the links in my sig, bash gaurds arent shown, but i can make them and they'll look similar to my chainrings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.