Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

External BB bearings in Eccentric BB shell?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  vtdavey 
#1 ·
Without the use of external bottom brackets my choice of cranksets is becoming limited. Is there an Eccentric Bottom Bracket design that works with external bearings? I am trying to avoid having to re-install the crank every time I adjust the chain tension... The bottom bracket is currently the four-bolt pinch type with a two -hole spanner tension adjustment. These adjustment holes would be covered and inaccessible with the use of an external bearing.

#3 ·
vtdavey said:
Without the use of external bottom brackets my choice of cranksets is becoming limited. Is there an Eccentric Bottom Bracket design that works with external bearings? I am trying to avoid having to re-install the crank every time I adjust the chain tension... The bottom bracket is currently the four-bolt pinch type with a two -hole spanner tension adjustment. These adjustment holes would be covered and inaccessible with the use of an external bearing.

That's a Phil Wood eccentric bb and a Chris King BB.

Morgan

#6 ·
My XXIX came stock with external bearing cranks. I took them off because i am sensitive to wide Q and am running my trusty Sun Tour Micro Drive cranks with Phil spindle Q=150mm. It was actually EASIER to adjust the EBB with the external because i would just grip the external cup to rotate the EBB to where i wanted it, then crank down on the lock screws with hex key in my other hand.

#7 ·
Thanks; I have also discovered that my ebb/ chain tension can be adjusted without a spanner tool. I can see how the external would make this even easier. That's a nice plus. I didn't consider the additional q-factor of external bearings though. I was just trying to get away from my square taper bb that I thought had gone the way of quill stems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.