Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1979 R20: Modern approach on a vintage folder

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  fishcreek 
#1 ·
It was 26 years ago since I rode my first bike which was a folding Panasonic singlespeed. That was my all around, do it all bike. My scars proved how I loved riding my bike on and off-road using only the commuter tires it came with.

This brought up reincarnating this 30-year old Raleigh Twenty. I wanted to bring back old fun memories and convert this fully functional three speed into rideable off-road SS machine. Impossible? no. Challenging? yes. Waste of time and money? not unless you love what you are doing.

Few of the challenges is to find a correct threaded BB and replace the cotterless cranks. Crank is in perfect condition but I wanted to give a modern taste to it, least of my worries but sits high on my priority if I can.

At the moment, all the fenders, chainguard and some unwanted crap and reflectors are being removed. I have Holy Rollers ready for some off-roading action and still looking for more knobby tires that can handle loose gravel.

Here's some of the before shots:

This project is open for suggestions and hopefully turn out a success.

See less See more
#5 ·
Another folder

The bike was kept original, my wife ended up loving it and claimed by her as her own!! Good thing I scored one for my self, in forest green! :thumbsup: Now this one has missing bits and pieces, a perfect candidate to make a "beastly" bike as my wife referred to most of my rides..

#9 ·
thanks. ratio is 46:15 and stuck in high gear, which is 83 gear inches according to one website. geax poison 1.75 on the front (widest tire that the fork can accommodate) and maxxis maxx daddy 1.85 on rear. we'll see how it progresses too. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.