Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

quick release slipping?

6K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  farrisw1 
#1 ·
I can't get my rear wheel to stay in place when I stand up and mash on the pedals. As soon as I apply a bit of pressure, the skewer slips and my chain tension is out.

I'm riding a Transition TransAM frame, which has horizontal drop outs. I'm running a DT Swiss EX1750 wheelset w/ the RWS thru bolt in the rear. From what I've read, the RWS thru bolt should hold very well. I even tried adding some washers w/ teeth on them so it can lock on the dropout a bit better, but it still slips.

Any ideas? Is the problem the RWS thru bolt skewer? Or something else? Chainline?

#4 ·
boomn said:
a quick release skewer will never be strong enough for horizontal dropouts unless you add a Tuggnut or similar bmx tensioner. I use a QR skewer and Tuggnut on my bike without any slipping
I disagree. I use Shimano XT or Mavic MTB quick release in a steel frame and never had the wheel slip. I race SS, have tons of power, stand on climbs as I use a taller gear than most SS riders. I believe the qieck release - if it has internal mechanism and steel or stong alloy clamping surface - holds the wheel better than axle bolts.

#15 · (Edited)
macsi said:
Zion Rasta listed the best QR models ever made... QR is the best solution to holding a wheel in a conventional dropout, in 90% of the cases no additional part is needed to prevent slipping - just sheer force!
Haven't tried XTs or Hope Skewers, but like I said in my first post, I've got the DT Swiss RWS and they're the ones slipping.

I ended up buying a Hadley thru Axle and a half link for my chain. Although the Hadley Thru Axle did hold a bit a better, it still eventually started slipping. With the half link, the chain tension is a bit tighter (hopefully not too tight), but it seems to be holding up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.