Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Who Makes Alloy Chainring Bolts?

735 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  roybatty666 
#1 ·
Pretty self explanatory. Most bolts are designed for two rings and require a spacer when used with only one. I'm looking for shorter alloy bolts and nuts for my singlespeed.

#9 ·
And all these breaks were with the nut going nearly all the way through the spider? I've only broken one when I was using too short a nut and the bolt was being loaded. These are going on a DH bike with 165mm cranks so they won't see quite the torque of a SS user on 180s.

#11 ·
Universal cycles has both Vuelta and Sugino aluminum chainring bolts in anodized colors. Obviously, if you are using aluminum bolts, you have to have the cool colors, otherwise why bother? But I agree with the others here - stick with steel. On a single speed or fixed gear bike, steel is definitely the only way to go. If your downhill bike has gears, you're in the wrong forum. Geared bikes can get away with aluminum, but you still risk breaking them during tightening if you aren't careful.

#13 ·
How do you shear an aluminum chainring bolt? as has been said if they are the correct size the threaded nut/insert combined with the bolt inside it should make an almost solid pin through the ring and spider

I have riden with Aluminum bolts for over a decade with no issues other than mashing the odd one up with cheap allen keys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.