Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can I replace my dropouts - and ditch the tensioner?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  fishcreek 
#1 ·
My Zaskar has removable dropouts. Wouldn't it be nice if I could go down to the SS store and buy SS conversion dropouts - remove the current and add horizontal. Oh, if only.

I'm assuming I don't have such an option... that the current setup is as good as it's going to get... right?

Current setup:

Note: ignore the left hand image and red lines - was used to highlight correct and incorrect angle/tension for another discussion

See less See more
#3 ·
I actually have a guy who is a great fabricator. He usually does jeep roll cages, tube buggies, etc. But the boy's got skills. Is there a template or dropout from another frame that could be used as a "go by" ? Matching the existing dropout on the frame end would be easy enough (for him) but I'd like to put something in his hand (that template, etc.) for the "business end" of the drop out.

Otherwise, I could just sketch it out I suppose.

#5 ·
But... since the dropout bolts to the aluminum frame - I could fab' the dropouts in steel and bolt them to the frame. They'd be a bit heavy but, to your point, much easier to work with.

#10 ·
OldZaskar said:
But... since the dropout bolts to the aluminum frame - I could fab' the dropouts in steel and bolt them to the frame. They'd be a bit heavy but, to your point, much easier to work with.
correct me if i am wrong, but i believe its only the drive side dropout which is the bolt-on type, the non-drive is fixed vertical dropout.

#11 ·
fishcreek said:
correct me if i am wrong, but i believe its only the drive side dropout which is the bolt-on type, the non-drive is fixed vertical dropout.
Damn it! I can't correct you - you're right. #*$&!!! I've been so focused on the drive side (the tensioner, etc.) that I never looked at the other side. Of course - no removable dropout. :madman:

Looks like I'm stickin with the damn tensioner. Damn it.

But hey thanks fishcreek... no tellin how long it would've taken me to notice that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.