Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flagstaff 10/19

1K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  tpvet73 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I will be spending a week in Lake Havasu City from 10/11 - 10/18, then traveling back to Georgia thru Flagstaff. I'm looking to do a couple of hours of riding while passing thru.
If there are any locals who normally ride on Mondays and care to let me tag along, I would be more than gratefull!

Looking foward to getting out there!

Thanks, Paul

#2 ·
There are some desert trails in Havasu south of town that will take you down to various spots along the lake shore. We've seen people come down out of the hills while we were camped on the lake on a number of occasions. I have not ridden them myself so I can't say much about how fun the trails are. Usually when we're there it's way too @%$#%*! hot to even think about getting on a bike!

Flagstaff is a great place to ride but is off-limits to all but locals. They could tell you where the trails are but then they would be severely chastised by their on-line buddies. Check the other Flag thread for some links to good maps. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=541676

;)

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on Havasu & the link to trails in Flagstaff areas...........

I'm a little surprised as to the "Locals only" ???? I thought even the surfers who had that mentality gave up on it? I have been riding over 20 years & open arms to people new to our areas. but hey, to each their own?

My point is not to tread on anyones turf, but as a 50yo & riding alone in an unframiliar area, to have that safety cushion for the "what if's" and to possibly meet a new friend or to in what we all love, the Great outdoors!

Thanks again for the links, i'll do a little more homework on the area, I really want to experiance the beauty of what you call home!!

Paul

#4 ·
I was really just kidding about the locals-only thing of course, referring to all of the bickering that goes on around here when somebody outs a "secret" trail or calls a trail by the wrong name, etc etc. Hopefully you can find somebody up there the ride with, but if not, don't be afraid to head up to Mt. Eldon area and explore. Many folks park down by the intersection of Eldon Lookout Rd and Shultz Pass Rd and head up. From there you can stick to trails that are fairly mellow (i.e. not too technical) or find stuff that will surely test your skill. The markings/ratings on the map are helpful. Bring your lungs & legs and have fun!

:)

#5 ·
azoutside said:
I was really just kidding about the locals-only thing of course, referring to all of the bickering that goes on around here when somebody outs a "secret" trail or calls a trail by the wrong name, etc etc. Hopefully you can find somebody up there the ride with, but if not, don't be afraid to head up to Mt. Eldon area and explore. Many folks park down by the intersection of Eldon Lookout Rd and Shultz Pass Rd and head up. From there you can stick to trails that are fairly mellow (i.e. not too technical) or find stuff that will surely test your skill. The markings/ratings on the map are helpful. Bring your lungs & legs and have fun!
:)
The bickering on mtbr is probably less than 5% of the local biking population. Maybe even less than 1%. Just say'in.

#6 ·
Most "locals" as they are called have been in flag for less than a decade. They move there and within a year consider themselves locals. Yikes! A "real" local remembers when Cosmic Cycles was on South San Francisco and only sold 10 speeds, and when South San Francisco was two way. What I'm saying is anyone who claims to be a local is usually a kid from the suburbs who thinks he/she discovered Flagstaff and mountain biking.

#7 ·
Wow, All I want to do is come ride your trails while passing thru! I love visiting new places & experiancing new things! I certainly did not want to trigger discontempt between you all. Sorry to have caused this for you................. Hope you get out and ride some

Paul

#8 ·
How late into the season can you ride Mt. Elden or Flagstaff in general? I will be spending my thanksgiving weekend up there & would love to bring my bike to break up the monotony of family activities. Wasn't sure what the weather was like in late Nov.?
Also, if there are any "locals" who wouldn't mind showing a socal boy the goods I would be more than happy to return the favor here in CA.

P.S. SORRY FOR THE THREAD HIJACK!

#9 ·
If there's not much snow, you're good to go in Nov.

OR you could drive down to Sedona and ride their world-class trails which will be primo in Nov.

Everyone is a local.

#10 ·
PCLehr said:
Wow, All I want to do is come ride your trails while passing thru! I love visiting new places & experiancing new things! I certainly did not want to trigger discontempt between you all. Sorry to have caused this for you................. Hope you get out and ride some

Paul
I rode today thank you. No shuttlers were encountered nor any other trail users of any kind. Except wildlife. Don't be scared by some internet babble. Enjoy your stay. Flag is a fun town as well. Do a search or two. It's not all hate. I'll ride with you on the 11th if you like.

#11 ·
PCLehr said:

Paul
Hi Paul,

These are the same old things that come out anytime there's a Flag related topic. Just don't ask about who has the yield when "bombing" down Shultz Creek. Just ignore it and you'll find lots of happy riders in Flagstaff.

I don't know what my schedule is going to be like in October, but I'd be happy to show you the trails. Just drop me a PM about a week or so before your trip and I'll let you know.

TpVet73

#12 ·
Noelg said:
If there's not much snow, you're good to go in Nov.

OR you could drive down to Sedona and ride their world-class trails which will be primo in Nov.

Everyone is a local.
You should have seen how many locals showed up for trail day on the new Secret trail west reroute or whatever it will be called two weekends ago. At least 75 people and most of them were Coconino Trail Riders. The moto guys, but lots of hikers as well. Not sure about equestrian folk. Just lots of people psyched to get out and build a trail. Maybe too excited, judging by the immense amout of rocks being moved.

I second the Sedona option in Nov. Not that you can't ride in Flagstaff but if it's been a lean start to winter at that point it will likely to be dusty and have that winter-like, non-green feel/vibe. Cool to be out in the woods for sure, but better to be in the red rocks.

#13 ·
rockman said:
I second the Sedona option in Nov. Not that you can't ride in Flagstaff but if it's been a lean start to winter at that point it will likely to be dusty and have that winter-like, non-green feel/vibe. Cool to be out in the woods for sure, but better to be in the red rocks.
ahem! begging your pardon, rockman, but for some of us flagstaffricans, november is when we reach the peak of our summer-fitness.

plus, the lines-of-sight become greatly improved when all the oaks have dropped their leaves. you can go mach in november 'cause you can see waaay down the trail!

#14 ·
rockychrysler said:
ahem! begging your pardon, rockman, but for some of us flagstaffricans, november is when we reach the peak of our summer-fitness.

plus, the lines-of-sight become greatly improved when all the oaks have dropped their leaves. you can go mach in november 'cause you can see waaay down the trail!
Well, I guess we need to get you down to Sedona more than your current 1 visit/decade pace?:p

#18 ·
******* said:
Most "locals" as they are called have been in flag for less than a decade. They move there and within a year consider themselves locals. Yikes! A "real" local remembers when Cosmic Cycles was on South San Francisco and only sold 10 speeds, and when South San Francisco was two way. What I'm saying is anyone who claims to be a local is usually a kid from the suburbs who thinks he/she discovered Flagstaff and mountain biking.
WOW! My brain hurts now. I live here, locally, so I am a local. As are you apparently. If it takes someone more than a few months to learn the ins and outs of flag and its riding, they need help, not just with the riding...

#20 ·
Shame that the dates don't quite seem to match up but there will be a small group of us Brits there for a couple of days from around the 21st - we would be happy to hook up.

We went there last fall for the first time and managed to get around with Epicriders map - it may have trail names that offend some of the locals but hey - the trails are mostly not signed anyway.

We were also lucky to get an offer from local rider Chalkpaw for a days guiding. That got us on to some good stuff we hadn't planned and made for a more flowing day with no map stops:thumbsup:

Have fun

#21 ·
azoutside said:
There are some desert trails in Havasu south of town that will take you down to various spots along the lake shore. We've seen people come down out of the hills while we were camped on the lake on a number of occasions. I have not ridden them myself so I can't say much about how fun the trails are. Usually when we're there it's way too @%$#%*! hot to even think about getting on a bike!

Flagstaff is a great place to ride but is off-limits to all but locals. They could tell you where the trails are but then they would be severely chastised by their on-line buddies. Check the other Flag thread for some links to good maps. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=541676

;)
Snobbery at its best!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not aimed at you).

#22 ·
Hey Paul,

Look me up when you are in Havasu. I'll be headed out there early and stopping in Fruita, CO and posibly Flagstaff also for some mountain biking. There may also be a group of people riding in Havasu during the finals. I have a friend who is riding in Flagstaff as I type this and I can get some trail names for you from him also.

Josh Blum

#25 ·
rockman said:
But you know the PDO is stll in a negative phase? http://jisao.washington.edu/pdo/

I'd feel much better about pineapple-express type big winter scenarios if it was positive. Just say'n.
everyone knows: pdo is a myth. might as well tell me santa thinks it's gonna be a mild winter, too :)

plus, i am not a pacific salmon (as far as i know).

hangin my hat on the nino; he's all i got. and the chinese (yes, the chinese!) would have us all believe he's a myth this year, too: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-09/21/content_12086294.htm

#26 ·
I am El Nino! All other tropical storms must bow before El Nino! Yo soy El Nino! For those of you who don't "habla Espanol", El Nino is Spanish for.. The Nino! To any of you hurricanes who are listening, step on up! Because nobody can take El Nino! I challenge any of you punk-ass tropical storms to a no-holds barred cage match! Any time! Any coast! I swear to God all Mighty it is time to pay the piper, 'cause El Nino's coming for ya! And it ain't gonna be pretty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.