Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can You Make Your Own Shin/Knee Guards?

10K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Tim F. 
#1 ·
i was just wondering if you could make your own shin and knee guards? ill be doing a little DJ-ing, so nothing to crazy but hate cut up shins

#2 ·
Some of the guys I play hockey with always talk about "Back in the day we just taped the news paper to our shins." Seems like it could work if you really feel you need shin guards and don't have $20 to buy a pair.

#3 ·
drum714 said:
Some of the guys I play hockey with always talk about "Back in the day we just taped the news paper to our shins." Seems like it could work if you really feel you need shin guards and don't have $20 to buy a pair.
man just buy a cheap pair online on ebay or chainlove, you can find a used set for like 10 or 15 bucks

#8 ·
i got a pair of kyle straits online from chainlove for $20
or go to big 5 sports goods, play it again and get indoor volleyball knee pads, there about $15-$20

as for jumping without brakes, if youve never done it, go to 1 brake, then go brakeless

#12 ·
Just drop the coin and but a legit set of shin pads. It does not make sense to risk some serious shin bite from failed home made protective gear. A decent set will run you about $20.
Or go to Wally-mart and pick up a cheap set of soccer shin guards, like $8.

#16 ·
drum714 said:
Yeah but "Back in the day" hockey players didn't wear helmets. Nothing to be cheap about in hockey. A 80 MPH slap shot to the shins will change your mind.

Hockey Shin guards might be a good idea in theory, but they're typically rather large and bulky. If you do get some, be sure to buy them rather small. I wear my hockey shinguards over the tongue of my skate, so the bottom of the pad nearly touches the top of my foot. The newer guards are light and protect well, but they usually don't stay on that well. They're worn with a hockey sock over them, then often taped a few times with hockey shin tape.

Biking shin pads are the way to go. If you spend some money on some nice ones, you'll thank yourself in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.