Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

how to remove old grips, twist method?

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  clutch_08 
#1 ·
#3 ·
+1 for the air compressor.

poke the needle tip through the hole in the end and blow them both off. Takes about 20 seconds. You can also use the compressor to install the new ones.

If you don't have access to a compressor you can cut the old grips, be careful not to damage the bars.

#7 ·
okay got the old grips off and kinda got the new ones on, some problems:

- the "outer" clamp kinda sticks out of the handlebar (dont know if the clamp is actually clamping anything tight; i've already pushed the grip all the way in)
- the plastic end covers don't fit into my hollow handlebar

anyone have any suggestions on how to work around these?

#8 ·
Why can't you push the grip all the way onto the bar? Is it a matter of moving your brake/shifter? Don't see the end caps in the link, so not sure what form they take (and all handlebars I've used are hollow, so not sure what that means). What I do with my ODI grips is to deliberately leave a tiny bit of the clamp hanging off the end of the bar to prevent the cookie cutter thing from the handlebar in a crash (and don't use an endcap at all, they tend to come off anyways IME),

#10 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Why can't you push the grip all the way onto the bar? Is it a matter of moving your brake/shifter? Don't see the end caps in the link, so not sure what form they take (and all handlebars I've used are hollow, so not sure what that means). What I do with my ODI grips is to deliberately leave a tiny bit of the clamp hanging off the end of the bar to prevent the cookie cutter thing from the handlebar in a crash (and don't use an endcap at all, they tend to come off anyways IME),
yea i mean that the brake level/shifters are in the way, i may find some time tomorrow to adjust these, i should have no problem moving them in about an 1/2 inch each right?

the end caps are small and plastic. i'm having trouble forcing them into the hollow handlebar. am i supposed to use a mallet/hammer for them?

what do you mean by cookie cutter thing? and is it safe to ride without anything covering the ends of the handlebar? leaving it hollow all the way through?

#11 ·
You shouldn't have any problem moving the brake/shifter levers. If your end caps are like small plugs a tight fit is a good thing, you just need to push them in evenly, a mallet might work. What I meant by the cookie cutter thing is when an exposed handlebar end cuts into your flesh in a crash, why there are handlebar end caps.

#15 ·
oh i got the grip off already guys, i even got the new grip on.

i just need to shift all my handlebar components inside a little bit so the entire grip and fit onto the handlebar. as of now the outter clamp is hanging off a little and i can't get the end caps on. yes they are the push in type...

any help will be appreciated

#16 ·
jsac said:
what if you have no air compressor and you plan on re-using the grips...whats the easiest way?
Slide a thick cable-tie or straw (like you'd get on a can of WD40) down under the grip, lift it up a little to create some space, then drip water into it. Grip the grip and twist; the water should work its way around and release the grip.

Hairspray is probably the best thing for fitting grips. Spray a little into the grip and fit it over the bar. Twist it around a little, then remove, refit, remove, refit until the hairspray starts to stick the grip to the bar. Leave it for 5-10mins and it should be suitably bonded.

#21 ·
anavrinIV said:
loosen the bolts for the brake levers and shifters. move them in some. put the grips on. reposition the brake levers and shifters. is this really that difficult?
To add to this, while you have all the levers loose sit the top bar and move the breaks into a comfortable position for yourself then retighten them.

pink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.