Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Brake Advice: Shimano centerloc or 6 bolt adapters?

766 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Slurry 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading some thrashed Juicy 7's on my Mojo. I currently am running Mavic XLs but want to use a 2009 XTR wheelset that I have in storage. I tried using the brake therapy 6 bolt centerloc adapters originally, but found it a hassle to get them perfectly flat. I always experienced a slightly uneven rotor with them. hence I stuck with the XLs with my Avids.

Now that i am looking for a new brakeset, I'm contemplating revisiting running the XTR wheelset. Now I'm unsure if i want to go 2009 XTR centerloc brakes to make life easier with the wheelset, or stick with a 6 bolt system.

I read the sticky of using Shimano centerloc rotors with non-Shimano brake calipers, and for me I will take the route to use a matching system.

I have a 2007 Fox Float 140 RLC and for a brakeset, I'm debating between 2009 Shimano XTRs or Magura SLs, so help with the following questions is much appreciated:

1) my fork is IS mount. The front 2009 XTRs are only Post mount right? If I go Shimano, do I need a specific Shimano adapter to convert POST->IS or would any POST->IS adapter work, and what Rotor size would I need up front for this setup? (170mm?)

2) if I decide to go Magura, has anyone any experience using the Shimano brand centerloc to 6-bolt adapters?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=22262&category=18

Wondering if these are problem free and allow a perfectly aligned rotor.

I would like to use these XTR wheels!

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.