Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pump or Co2

950 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  slocaus 
#1 ·
The other day I stopped to help a rider with a flat tire. To my consternation my Blackburn mini pump failed and fortunately a nice lady rider had a pump that worked. This is the second time a Blackburn has failed me; the head wouldn't seal. OTOH I use a Zepal frame pump on my road bike and has worked flawlessly for literally 30 years, even though it has been used several times to ward off dogs. I also have a Co2 tire inflator, but I don't use it. I don't want a pump that requires 300 pumps to inflate a tire, nor do I want a Blackburn Mammoth Mountain size pump that looks like you bike has a double down tupe. So what did I get? Why I bought the pump the lady had; a Hurricane HPV dual.

So what about you? What do you have? Do you like it? Does it work?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
hand pump for rides, co2 for race.
I have a specialized air force 2? pump i believe. I found it on the trail a few years ago. Any pump should work but the key is cleaning them and lubing them regularly. I completely pull them apart and grease up the plunger and then they work like new.

BTW, was she hot?

#5 ·
Lezyne Alloy Drive M - hose to easy wear and tear on tubeless presta stems, and will inflate a burped tubeless out in the sticks.
Plus these guys are serious riders, NOR/CEN CAL guys, just south of you in SLO (stated Truvativ years ago).

CO2 is so environmentally costly in the manufacturing process and disposal, please use it only when time is critical, races, or babies. :thumbsup:
Pumping takes time, but is planet friendly, like bikes. :cool:

#6 ·
I manage to squeeze a Blackburn Mammoth into my Camelbak Lobo. It gets me to mtb pressures fast.
(the small CB pump I bought before the Mammoth failed me miserably)

#8 ·
CHUM said:
topeak mountain morph

flexible air hose....little side thingy to put you foot on (which is AWESOME)...works all the time.....fast too.....and really not too big...

but...i only carry co2 about 99% of the time now.....new kid = short rides.....;)
+1. Works better than some cheap floor pumps I have had in the past.

#12 ·
slocaus said:
Lezyne Alloy Drive M - hose to easy wear and tear on tubeless presta stems, and will inflate a burped tubeless out in the sticks.
Plus these guys are serious riders, NOR/CEN CAL guys, just south of you in SLO (stated Truvativ years ago).

CO2 is so environmentally costly in the manufacturing process and disposal, please use it only when time is critical, races, or babies. :thumbsup:
Pumping takes time, but is planet friendly, like bikes. :cool:
Those things look nice! I have been carrying a Blackburn Mammoth Mountain in my Camelbak for so long ago, I honestly can not remember when I bought it. I have never had no problems with it, but then I rarely ever use it. I also carry a Topeak MTN Morph in the toolbox that I keep in my truck and while I really like the attached hose, the pump itself is bigger than what I prefer to carry while riding.

I have seen the Lezynes online, but have never had a chance to check one out first hand. I noticed on the link you posted that there are two sizes listed, small and medium. What size do you use? Also, by looking at the picture, does the hose attach via a screw-on type head and if so, how well does it work?

Thanks,
Brian

#14 ·
raynman said:
If you are running tubeless you often need the shock of air that CO2 provides. Carry a cartridge or two along with a hand pump and extra tube. Also, having a little extra tire sealant in a small 2 oz bottle has saved my neck on numerous epics.
good idea. i also cary a patch kit which can fix a tubless tire when you get a puncture that's too big for the sealant.

#16 ·
BrianU said:
Those things look nice! I have been carrying a Blackburn Mammoth Mountain in my Camelbak for so long ago, I honestly can not remember when I bought it. I have never had no problems with it, but then I rarely ever use it. I also carry a Topeak MTN Morph in the toolbox that I keep in my truck and while I really like the attached hose, the pump itself is bigger than what I prefer to carry while riding.

I have seen the Lezynes online, but have never had a chance to check one out first hand. I noticed on the link you posted that there are two sizes listed, small and medium. What size do you use? Also, by looking at the picture, does the hose attach via a screw-on type head and if so, how well does it work?

Thanks,
Brian
I have the M, larger but more volume since I run tubeless and want the extra volume in case I burp all the air. I have only done that once in a year and a half, and I had a tiny Crank Bros pump that would not seat the beads, buddy had a Lezyne and it worked great. I bought one the next day! The hose fits into the handle end of the pump and screws in securely. The hose reverses with presta on one and schreader on the other. Awesome functional design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.