Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SGS Shock questions

366 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  greyhound 
#1 ·
A bit of a X-post from the bike brands forum. There are some smart folks here.....tell me what you think.

OK.....I've posed this question to my LBS employee, and to a few message boards, but so far, no definitive asnwers.

My question is this: With all three 2004 SGS Freeride models getting seven inches of rear wheel travel, how does the "Expert" model acheive this with a shorter shock and stroke length(7.87x2.28) than the other two models (Pro & Team) which have longer shock and stroke lengths(8.5x2.5)?

Is it the linkage or is it the frame? I can't tell from the pics. Does anyone out there in e-biker land have some solid info for me on this? The reason I ask, is that I really like the Expert model, and really like the price....... Looking at the leverage ratio for the "Expert" with the Vanilla R shock, it's a bit on the high side(something around 3.1:1), ala the classic Super 8's, but I digress: If I wanted to make a shock switch, is that possible to do on the Expert model, or is it a shock AND linkage switch, OR is it a different frame all together that allows for the longer shock?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.