Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any BIG boys on a Demo9 yet?

684 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Cannon_Fodder 
#1 · (Edited)
Forget it...

No wonder.....

#2 ·
praise jesus for your BIG BOY status, you are my hero. such a BIG boy. SO big.

now that you've finished trying to impress us with your fatness, here's your answer:

is Kyle Ritchie (Herc) big enough? I think so. and he has cojones of steel. and he doesn't brag about being a "big boy."

and he rides a Demo 9, I believe.

#4 ·
Oh look, I can't @#$% believe it, Gonzostrike is being a d!ck to some guy for no reason. Everyone's favorite internet tough-guy strikes again. Grow up, a$$.

As to EVS's question, yeah, I'm 6'3, 260, and I ride a Demo 9 Pro. I had to replace the stock 450lb spring with a 550, and I upped the preload on the fork. Truth be told, the fork needs the heavier springs installed, but I've had no time to get that done yet as work has been insane. Plus, even with the stock springs it still works really well. I will be sending it in to Marz to have the 888 "works" treatment after the season is over, and they will put the heavier springs in then.

The bike works phenomenally well, and it is built to take a beating. It also seems to me to have a bit more room in the cockpit compared to the other bikes I sat on. I really liked that, as a lot of DH bikes seem short to me.

I do recommend that you trash the stock seatpost, as mine broke and ruined my day as I was unable to find a replacement at Big Bear. The stock post is a POS, and you'll do well to get a Thompson right up front.

Anyhow, to put it simply, I'm thrilled with it. Let me know if you need more info.

#6 ·
Thanks Big Digger ...

for the info.I had a Thompson seatpost from my other bike and that was the first thing that I changed.I also had to go up to the 550 spring but was kind of bummed out that they didn't have a stronger one until I emailed customer service and they said I could pump up the air to 175psi max.That made a huge difference for me.I'm not as big as you (220) so it is refreshing to know that your not crushing and killing things.I saw some of the guys riding demo 9's on the red bull coverage and the new dvd the collective and find it hard to believe that they are using stock stuff,even if they are a bit lighter the jumps they do are huge. I was wondering how the bikes were holding up after being out for about a year.My Demo9 Pro is holding up awesome but I am always on the look out for problems.I was almost going to replace the stock 888 springs but noticed that after being out for awhile, Marzoc's changed the recommended oil level to be more than it originally was and it made a huge difference.The guy from go-ride has a nice write up on his experiments with the 888.I put a zip tie around the fork leg and I noticed I'm using all my travel at times but it doesn't bottom out and come to think of it I did add one notch down on the c clip on the preload while we were changing the oil and had it apart.
Thanks for the response and I take it Gonzostrike is that way all the time from your reply.:) The attitude kind of bummed me out considering he's never ridden with me.I didn't mean anything by it, but how are you going to find things out here if you don't ask.Anyway enjoy your bike and the fall rides and thanks again.

evs (just enjoying a fatty :)

#7 ·
evs said:
for the info.I had a Thompson seatpost from my other bike and that was the first thing that I changed.I also had to go up to the 550 spring but was kind of bummed out that they didn't have a stronger one until I emailed customer service and they said I could pump up the air to 175psi max.That made a huge difference for me.I'm not as big as you (220) so it is refreshing to know that your not crushing and killing things.I saw some of the guys riding demo 9's on the red bull coverage and the new dvd the collective and find it hard to believe that they are using stock stuff,even if they are a bit lighter the jumps they do are huge. I was wondering how the bikes were holding up after being out for about a year.My Demo9 Pro is holding up awesome but I am always on the look out for problems.I was almost going to replace the stock 888 springs but noticed that after being out for awhile, Marzoc's changed the recommended oil level to be more than it originally was and it made a huge difference.The guy from go-ride has a nice write up on his experiments with the 888.I put a zip tie around the fork leg and I noticed I'm using all my travel at times but it doesn't bottom out and come to think of it I did add one notch down on the c clip on the preload while we were changing the oil and had it apart.
Thanks for the response and I take it Gonzostrike is that way all the time from your reply.:) The attitude kind of bummed me out considering he's never ridden with me.I didn't mean anything by it, but how are you going to find things out here if you don't ask.Anyway enjoy your bike and the fall rides and thanks again.

evs (just enjoying a fatty :)
Right on, I'm glad you're enjoying the bike. Like I said, I love mine. As to the spring, when I spoke with Manitou last, they said they had a 600 lb spring that would be shipping within a few weeks (this was 3 months ago, so it should be readily available now. That said, I like mine with the 550, so I won't be changing it.

As to that Gonzostrike clown, I wouldn't be too bummed--90% of the people on this board are totally cool and willing to answer questions. That guy is always taking a swipe at somebody, and never for a good reason from what I've seen. Whatever. He's probably some kid who gets bored in between rubbing one out to his favorite Barney video and begging his mom for another Otter Pop, and so elects to entertain himself thusly. Ignore him, and like any other petulant child he will go away.

#8 ·
you should realy like the 888 "works" treatment had it done from the start and I an 6"6' and 300 lbs Marz is only a few miles from me
BigDigger said:
Oh look, I can't @#$% believe it, Gonzostrike is being a d!ck to some guy for no reason. Everyone's favorite internet tough-guy strikes again. Grow up, a$$.

As to EVS's question, yeah, I'm 6'3, 260, and I ride a Demo 9 Pro. I had to replace the stock 450lb spring with a 550, and I upped the preload on the fork. Truth be told, the fork needs the heavier springs installed, but I've had no time to get that done yet as work has been insane. Plus, even with the stock springs it still works really well. I will be sending it in to Marz to have the 888 "works" treatment after the season is over, and they will put the heavier springs in then.

The bike works phenomenally well, and it is built to take a beating. It also seems to me to have a bit more room in the cockpit compared to the other bikes I sat on. I really liked that, as a lot of DH bikes seem short to me.

I do recommend that you trash the stock seatpost, as mine broke and ruined my day as I was unable to find a replacement at Big Bear. The stock post is a POS, and you'll do well to get a Thompson right up front.

Anyhow, to put it simply, I'm thrilled with it. Let me know if you need more info.

#9 ·
:cool:
Cannon_Fodder said:
you should realy like the 888 "works" treatment had it done from the start and I an 6"6' and 300 lbs Marz is only a few miles from me
I'm glad to hear that they make it work for us clydes--especially given that it seems like the average rider is 5'5" 150. I was that size...in 4th grade.

Do you know what springs they put in yours?

#11 ·
sorry no dont I let the LBS handle it, they told them my size and what bike the fork was going on.They said it was cheaper to get a works fork out of the box (built for my weight the first time) than it was to get a regular 888 fork and have the works pakage done on it
BigDigger said:
:cool:

I'm glad to hear that they make it work for us clydes--especially given that it seems like the average rider is 5'5" 150. I was that size...in 4th grade.

Do you know what springs they put in yours?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.