Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let down by LBS now what?

961 views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Kat10 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I got in touch with my local bike shop today only to be told that my 05 Demo 9 frame that should have been here in the next week or two is now not going to there until late December, to make things worse they didn't bother to contact me to tell me this fact. Now i'm starting to reconsider if I should bother waiting even longer.

Basically I have the following options:

1) Wait for the 05 (in the dodgy colour) and keep gently riding my Orange (with the dented headtube area)
2) Get an 04 for £100 less, in the better colour, but having wasted the last 6 weeks waiting for the 05
3) Get an Orange 223 (although the one year warranty and paint that wears off if you fart near it puts me off)
4) Get something completely different (not a Kona though)

What do you guys think? Any opinions would be most appreciated as I'm pretty annoyed right now.

#9 ·
DJrider04 said:
Id love to have an Orange, they ride so nice. Just wish the exchange rate wasnt so damn high.....its like 1.89 NOW!
Yeah I love my patriot, just a pity its got a huge ding in the headtube box section type thing (888's + fort william + off = new frame time :( ) Still going to use it as a long (ish) travel trial bike though.

#11 ·
chimponarope said:
Yeah i'm starting to think a ti spring and an oz or two saved in the new links isn't going to be worth the 2 month extra wait. (Plus the saved �100 can go on a new SC fork for the patriot, why oh why did I get rid of the Fox fork I had)
I would personally go with the 223, but second would be snach up an 04...save some cash, get your color, and get out and ride.

#14 ·
chimponarope said:
Got a 'test ride' booked on a good friends 223 at the soonest possible chance. So far only given it the parking lot bounce test.
Was it bouncy...cause I hear if the bike is bouncy, that its a full bred race bike. I have been on a few DH bike that were not so bouncy....and let me tell you, go bouncy. Not so bouncy will let you down. :D

Naa...but im glad your taking it into your own hands, and seeing if its worth it. Keep us updated.

#15 ·
Gramatica said:
Was it bouncy...cause I hear if the bike is bouncy, that its a full bred race bike. I have been on a few DH bike that were not so bouncy....and let me tell you, go bouncy. Not so bouncy will let you down. :D
With my fat ass on it a hardtail would end up bouncy as it flexed :D

Actually I think his 5th Element is out of whack the rebound is seriously slow (like you can get off it if you're quick and it'll still be coming back up).

#16 ·
chimponarope said:
With my fat ass on it a hardtail would end up bouncy as it flexed :D

Actually I think his 5th Element is out of whack the rebound is seriously slow (like you can get off it if you're quick and it'll still be coming back up).
Well....this test ride might be hampered by his rig....but well see, I have heard nothing but good about the 223. I wish I could afford one.

#18 ·
chimponarope said:
Thats the funny thing with the exchange rate, the oranges are relatively cheap here, a Santa Cruz or Intense is almost double the price!
ouch....I wonder if there was anyway for you to get me a 223, and me to get you a demo 9, and we both cheat the system......alas I am not smart enough to find out.
:D

#19 ·
Gramatica said:
ouch....I wonder if there was anyway for you to get me a 223, and me to get you a demo 9, and we both cheat the system......alas I am not smart enough to find out.
:D
In theory it can be done. I build the 223, and bring it out to 'use' on 'holiday' and just happen to swap it for a demo while there, only problem is when you add air fares to the price, damn the British tax system! :D

#20 ·
chimponarope said:
In theory it can be done. I build the 223, and bring it out to 'use' on 'holiday' and just happen to swap it for a demo while there, only problem is when you add air fares to the price, damn the British tax system! :D
Basterds! That wouls be so bad man....

#21 ·
chimponarope said:
Hey guys.

I got in touch with my local bike shop today only to be told that my 05 Demo 9 frame that should have been here in the next week or two is now not going to there until late December, to make things worse they didn't bother to contact me to tell me this fact.
Welcome to dealer hell. We tell the customer what the supplier tells us. Then the day the supplier tells us they'll be in, they call and tell us it'll be longer.

Don't always blame the dealer. Trust me, they need the money. If they could get you one, they would have.

Edit: It's only '04 still anyway!!!

#23 ·
Beau said:
Welcome to dealer hell. We tell the customer what the supplier tells us. Then the day the supplier tells us they'll be in, they call and tell us it'll be longer.

Don't always blame the dealer. Trust me, they need the money. If they could get you one, they would have.

Exactly.........

Your LBS just relayed the info they heard from Specialized. Don't blame the LBS.

-TS

#26 ·
Beau said:

Looking back I came off as being an impatient jerk! My apologies. (bad day at work yada yada)

Yeah I know that part only too well (used to used in another LBS for years). It's not that its late that made me really annoyed it was the way that it was the matter of fact way they said 'Oh its been delayed a month', and they hadn't let me know. Then when the ring specialized and they said December is fair enough as they had just that minute found that out, but the initial one they knew about well before I found out.

Well anyway today I'm much calmer and am going to ring round the shops and check times on various other frames (Demo 8, 05 Norco's etc) and the 04 frame (decided i'd rather have the 04 than the 05 anyway, not too sure on maroon on a bike :p ). Hopefully will have a decision made and whichever frame ordered by Monday. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.