Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I have to sell 1 bike..the Heckler or the Stinky?

2K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  mbell 
#1 ·
I need money and Ihave to sell one of ny two bikes...I have the 04 Heckler and the Kona Stinky 04...One for trail..and the other for freeride..(my freeride is very light thought...nothing so dangerous.....) I am quite unsure about which one I should give away...The Heckler is with a Vanilla fork and Float air shock..so it is quite light ..T e Kona is stock..with thw Marzocchi Drop Off triple fork(150 mm)..If you would have to decide which one to sell..what would you do?,,I was thinking to sell the Heckler and swap the Kona's fork with a single crown..like a 2005 Z1..(when I'll get the money)...or you think that the is better to keep the Heckler ,sell the Vanilla fork and air shock,and with time..beefing it up?...with..for eg. a Z1 or a Sherman Flick..and maybe a used Fox coil shock in the rear?..I like a lot the Heckler..but for riding it in big rocks..the bottom braket feels a bit low...So..may be a Stinky..witha lighter fork..could be a right compromise?...I really would to read your suggestions..Thanks in advance..Bye to all..

#10 ·
Nobody ever told me you could sell a bike. I thought once you bought it you had to keep it for life. Kind of like a wife you know. only nicer... :D

Keep the heckler. It is a more versatile bike. I trailride mine and I have even raced DH on it on some more moderate courses. If your only doing light freeride then it will hold up with no issues.

Get a coil shock though and find a better fork for FR and you can swap for the occasion and use just one bike for both.

BTW my heckler is the older model so it is not so beefy.

#11 ·
Heckler.

Jingleman said:
I need money and Ihave to sell one of ny two bikes...I have the 04 Heckler and the Kona Stinky 04...One for trail..and the other for freeride..(my freeride is very light thought...nothing so dangerous.....) I am quite unsure about which one I should give away...The Heckler is with a Vanilla fork and Float air shock..so it is quite light ..T e Kona is stock..with thw Marzocchi Drop Off triple fork(150 mm)..If you would have to decide which one to sell..what would you do?,,I was thinking to sell the Heckler and swap the Kona's fork with a single crown..like a 2005 Z1..(when I'll get the money)...or you think that the is better to keep the Heckler ,sell the Vanilla fork and air shock,and with time..beefing it up?...with..for eg. a Z1 or a Sherman Flick..and maybe a used Fox coil shock in the rear?..I like a lot the Heckler..but for riding it in big rocks..the bottom braket feels a bit low...So..may be a Stinky..witha lighter fork..could be a right compromise?...I really would to read your suggestions..Thanks in advance..Bye to all..
Be honest with your yourself with what type of riding you do the most of. If you are spending more time launching than pedaling keep the Stinky. If you want to do a little of both keep the Heckler. There is always a compromise. You can make the Stinky lighter but it will never be a true trail bike and the Heckler will never be a serious freerider.

With that said I have 729s, maxxis 2.5s, 04 firefly, and 5th coilover on my 04 Heckler and it can be hucked and even with the freeride build, I still take her on xc epics. I will not go huge with it but it is a tough bike.

#17 ·
judging by what you said in your original post, i think the heckler would be better suited to your style of riding.

go out on what you would consider a normal ride.....do it on the heckler, and then the next day do it on the stinky.

the choice should become pretty obvious, so long as you ride exactly what u wanna.

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.