Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cane Creek s3

5K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  GTscoob 
#1 ·
I am upgrading a few parts on my 2009 Redline Monocog and the first upgrade is the headset. I have never changed a headset out is this a difficult job? I was thinking maybe I should just call a LBS and have them do it. Thoughts anyone.

#2 ·
It is not a hard job to do. There are ways to press in headsets with some big washers, all-thread and some nuts. Just be carefull. If you get the cups pressing in at an angle, they will damage your frame. If you have any doubts at all about doing it yourself, have your LBS do it. Most shops will press a headset in for free if you buy it there.
As for the Cane Creek S-3, I have one in my Salsa. What a POS. Less than 200 miles on it and the bearings are shot. It makes popping noises when I am out of the saddle hammering. Its going away this weekend for the king of headsets - Chris King.

#4 ·
rsquared28 said:
As for the Cane Creek S-3, I have one in my Salsa. What a POS. Less than 200 miles on it and the bearings are shot. It makes popping noises when I am out of the saddle hammering. Its going away this weekend for the king of headsets - Chris King.
+1 on the POS.

I've got 5 bikes with CK from 3-10 years old, and one with S3 6 months old. Guess which one has to be readjusted every couple weeks because it's either grinding or popping.

Hint --> It's not any of the CK's.

#5 ·
I've tried both the S3 and S8. Both in my experience had issues, particularly with it being tough to eliminate forward/back play with the front brake applied. Headsets are very much a 'get what you pay for' thing.

By comparison I've got a king headset on my other bike that has been rock solid since '03 when I bought the bike. I've swapped forks pretty regularly and never had any issues like with the CC headsets. For that reason any new bike I buy will get a king.

#6 ·
I've had good luck with both my S3's. I'll agree it's a good bang for your buck.

I will say that the headset seems like an odd lace to begin upgrading a bike, at least IMHO. I'd save for a wheelset or something that will make a difference. Unless your current headset is giving you problems.

#9 ·
The S-3 I installed was great. Easy to install, and settled in nicely after a few hard rides. I did experience some loosening/popping after a short time, and realized it was because I had neglected to threadlock the head bolt. On a mtb this is pretty critical. The adjustment is also quite precise... there isn't much room between too loose and too tight, but I didn't have any problems eliminating play.

I expect it will need replacement after a season of riding or so, but as far as I am concerned, headsets are like tires, chains, chainrings and freewheels... they can be really good, but they still wear out with use.

This is why I just cannot justify paying the price for CK parts... nothing lasts forever, and things last even less on a rigid SS playing in the rocks.

#10 ·
I have 2 S3's in my bikes and the wife has one in hers (all are singlespeeds too!) and they have all been great. Oldest is 3+ years and ridden year round in wet UK conditions and has outlived freehub bodies, rims, BB's, you name it!

For the price they are amazing, I did have a King and was disapointed with the rocking / knocking because they don't have the conical washer set up of Cane Creek (or anyother company who will pay the licence fee and not opt for an O-ring!)

SSP

#11 ·
sunset1123 said:
...headsets are like tires, chains, chainrings and freewheels... they can be really good, but they still wear out with use.

This is why I just cannot justify paying the price for CK parts... nothing lasts forever, and things last even less on a rigid SS playing in the rocks.
The S-3 might be a fine product. I wouldn't know, because I've had the same Chris King headset in constant duty on rigids, short-travel/long travel suspension, SS hardtail, etc... since 1994. Buy it once and be done. Our other bikes have CK's on them, too. There may be a better product out there -- I just haven't had to think about them since the CK's work great and last "forever" (so far).

If the bike merits a super expensive headset, then just do it. You may find the CK outlasts the frame.

#14 ·
sunset1123 said:
The S-3 I installed was great. Easy to install, and settled in nicely after a few hard rides. I did experience some loosening/popping after a short time, and realized it was because I had neglected to threadlock the head bolt. On a mtb this is pretty critical.
What are you calling the headbolt - the top cap bolt? If that backs off and your headset goes loose, then you don't have the stem tight enough or the stem slipped for some other reason.

#15 ·
I almost put in a smartass 'waiting for someone to say I don't know how to install a headset/fork' but left it at "I've swapped forks pretty regularly". Thanks for re-assuring me that I should continue to be a smartass in the future. :D

Every go back and forth between 80mm, 100mm and rigid, sometimes for individual rides. The S3 always has play/rocking problems that can eventually be corrected by pulling down the fork a bit, compressing the split washer by hand and then re-seating the fork. Then you have to do this dance with the fork, top cap bolt and stem to get everything tight and not moving. As another person mentioned there is this fine line with too tight and too loose.

And as another note I had internals for another S3 that I swapped out thinking something was worn (the current one is on a used bike) but I had the same issues. This might mean that the bearing cups are somehow the issue which I'm willing to concede. But if thats the case then its just not a durable product. I don't need to be swapping out headsets every year or 2. (we don't do seasons here, its year round) I'll just buy a product that works 100% for YEARS and just never worry about it instead.

The king on my primary ride is from 2003. And I'm not the only one that has one that lasted that long or longer as Ebasil here shows. People crack frames or buy a new bike and just swap the headset to their new ride. Its value vs. price. Maybe the S3 isn't bad, but you'd have a hard time convincing folks that have used them that the king isn't better.

Schmucker said:
Cane Creek's are very very nice and work very very well. At least the four that I have. Two S6's and two S8's... putting my fifth on this weekend. Perhaps the problems people are having is due to them not being very good mechanics.

#16 ·
I have to throw my .02 cents worth. I like both headsets. I have a s2 that has been on three bikes. The reason the s2 gets swaped to different bikes is when I switch out to CK headsets the s2 goes on to the next project bike untill it gets upgraded to the CK headset.
My current project is going well and I think that I will ride the s2 untill it breaks but I am suprised that it has lasted this long.

Ken

#17 ·
big_slacker said:
Every go back and forth between 80mm, 100mm and rigid, sometimes for individual rides.
Yes, I'll swap back and forth between rigid and a reba, and I don't need to do any dancing.

big_slacker said:
we don't do seasons here, its year round
We ride year round here too, but we have seasons.

No denying a Chris King is an excellent product, but I've had good luck with Cane Creek's offerings.

#22 ·
Had 3 s-3's on three different bikes bikes in the last 3 years. No problems with any of them. Single speed rigid, steel hard tail and full suspension. Oldest shows a little corrosion on the exterior of the bearings, but work fine. Bearings are all of $10 to replace. Have swapped forks and never had a problem installing or setting up. For $30 you would probably be better off than you are now. I was tempted by the king but found a good number of post here with people complaining of play and questioning the o ring set up. Glad I didn't spend 3 times more on a King. Cane Creek seems to have good support. When I have called them they have been prompt and polite. (wanted to buy just the lower cup for a +5 headset)

#23 ·
sunset1123 said:
Sure, nothing lasts forever, but the warranty on CK is something like 10 years. You won't find that kind of coverage on any other headset. Over a 10 year time period, how many S3s are you going to buy for different bikes, as compared to one CK that gets moved from one bike to another for years and years:thumbsup:

#24 ·
rsquared28 said:
Sure, nothing lasts forever, but the warranty on CK is something like 10 years. You won't find that kind of coverage on any other headset. Over a 10 year time period, how many S3s are you going to buy for different bikes, as compared to one CK that gets moved from one bike to another for years and years:thumbsup:
Ok, by that logic. Cane Creek 110. 110 year warranty. Done.

#25 ·
Don't get sucked in by the long warranty times on top end stuff, it normally only covers failures in materials and workmanship, not wear and tear.

If you plot item failure against time you get a "bath tub" curve, if it fails it will normally fail inside 3months, if it makes it past that it is unlikely to fail for the next 5 years then the failure rate goes up again. TV's are a great example of this...and why I never pay to extend a 1 year warranty to say 3 years :)

Accept the Impermanence of stuff and enjoy it while it works.

SSP

#26 ·
nuck_chorris said:
nothing beats 1 1/8 threaded headsets, nothing:D
Gotta question for you - is there a way to change the ancient 1 1/8 threaded XT headset with a cartridge bearings? I love the looks of it but hate the fact the bearings are totally open to elements.

Oh and I love my S3, better product than FSA Orbitz and cheap! Had not have any issue for the last 4 years with once a year repack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.