Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Angel Fire and my new V10 - kind of long...

859 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Frankenschwinn 
#1 ·
I had the honor of racing the Final Descent at Angel fire this past weekend. It is a great race which I am sure you all know a little about. Two courses, one day combined times, etc....

I had broken my schwinn straight six a couple of weeks earlier at Devils Den in Arkansas. I had a friend weld it so I would have something to ride (see post frankenschwinn lives) but I had worries about the long term durability of the frame. I was able to find a 04 V10 for a great price (thanks Dave..) and it was to be delivered to me at Angel Fire.

I practiced all day Fri. on the Schwinn and it performed flawlessly but I was anxious for my new frame.

My new frame was delivered late Fri. afternoon and I immediatly went to work getting it built up. I planned to race it on Sat.

With the usual issues related to building a DH bike I finally got it built and ready to ride.

The race Sat was a blast. I was able to get 4 practice runs in on my V10 before my gate time so I felt pretty comfortable on the new ride.

My runs were pretty clean and I felt faster than I had on the schwinn. I got sixth in the sport class.

The V10 is such a huge improvement. I loved the schwinn but the V10 is in a completely different league. It felt so stable at speed and the cornering was amazing. It just sucks to get a new bike for the LAST race of the season.

The build:
04 V10 standard dropouts no floating brake
01 Super T
E13 Chainguide
Race Face Prodigy Cranks
xt rear hub/ Sun Rhyno Lite rim
Hope Biguns fron hub, Mavic rim
Avid Mech rear brake
Hope C2 Front Brake
Maxi Mobster tires.

Most of this will change but I had to build with what I had.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Frankenschwinn said:
I had the honor of racing the Final Descent at Angel fire this past weekend. It is a great race which I am sure you all know a little about. Two courses, one day combined times, etc....

I had broken my schwinn straight six a couple of weeks earlier at Devils Den in Arkansas. I had a friend weld it so I would have something to ride (see post frankenschwinn lives) but I had worries about the long term durability of the frame. I was able to find a 04 V10 for a great price (thanks Dave..) and it was to be delivered to me at Angel Fire.

I practiced all day Fri. on the Schwinn and it performed flawlessly but I was anxious for my new frame.

My new frame was delivered late Fri. afternoon and I immediatly went to work getting it built up. I planned to race it on Sat.

With the usual issues related to building a DH bike I finally got it built and ready to ride.

The race Sat was a blast. I was able to get 4 practice runs in on my V10 before my gate time so I felt pretty comfortable on the new ride.

My runs were pretty clean and I felt faster than I had on the schwinn. I got sixth in the sport class.

The V10 is such a huge improvement. I loved the schwinn but the V10 is in a completely different league. It felt so stable at speed and the cornering was amazing. It just sucks to get a new bike for the LAST race of the season.

The build:
04 V10 standard dropouts no floating brake
01 Super T
E13 Chainguide
Race Face Prodigy Cranks
xt rear hub/ Sun Rhyno Lite rim
Hope Biguns fron hub, Mavic rim
Avid Mech rear brake
Hope C2 Front Brake
Maxi Mobster tires.

Most of this will change but I had to build with what I had.
Nice ride. Is that ano grey?

#11 ·
hbfrdh1 said:
How is if for pedalling? I know a few people who race on those at Big Bear and they say it pedals somewhat poorly. Then again, they could just be lazy. :cool:
Yes Sir, you are correct. no prize though... ;)

#12 ·
madmax said:
thats sweet, are you getting a new fork?that looks nice but it would probably feel better with something bigger.sweet ride
Thats the plan but the budget did not allow for it right away. surprisingly it felt great though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.