Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Single pivot vs 4 bar linkage

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  gonzostrike 
#1 ·
whats the difference? I was thinkin about getting one of the new iron horse yakuza models, but dont know about the linkage, thanks.

#2 ·
i persnoally just like the look of 4 bar linkage alot more. One of the better things about it is that there is more tension put on to the chain on single pivot but the single pivot also has a pro of being simple with only one pivot and only one thing can break.

#3 ·
freeriderp2 said:
i persnoally just like the look of 4 bar linkage alot more. One of the better things about it is that there is more tension put on to the chain on single pivot but the single pivot also has a pro of being simple with only one pivot and only one thing can break.
not quite, not all single pivots behave the same, nor 4 bars. I cant bear to get into it...

#6 ·
...this is easy...

...the difference is the rider's preference...

1) Test ride 1 of each or similiar Horst vs non-Horst 4 bar and a single pivot.
2) See which 1 you like better.
3) Buy it.

I bought a Horst 4 bar bike, partly on looks, and although it performs well, it does not meet my expectation of quality vs what I paid for it.

I have another Horst 4 bar bike that I bought because I liked the ride of the other Horst 4 bar. This manufacturer has a considerably better reputation for quality, even though it may not be as good looking as my other Horst 4 bar bike, it is considerably better bike in terms of quality and performs equally well.

Before that, I had a non-Horst 4 bar. It rode awesome - as good as my Horst 4-bar. I gave it to my sister. My sister says it's awesome. Before that, my sister had a non-Horst 4 bar. She gave it to my and I sold it to my friend. He says it's awesome, too.

Before that, I had a single pivot URT. It had a long wheel base and was very sweet to look at but it wasn't the greatest when you stood up to pedal. It had a high linkage ratio and ate shocks for breakfast.

At the same time, I had a regular single pivot. It rode awesome. It was sweet looking. I rode and raced that bike for 3 years.

Tomorrow, I am going to the shop I ride for an order another Horst 4 bar for next year from the manufacturer I bought my second Horst 4 bar from.

I am droping hardtails for good - not enough suspension design controversy...

#9 ·
Kerry Fonda?

TheSherpa said:
Hey I have had both single pivot an OPrange Patriot in early 2000. And an FSR team DH. The single pivot was lighter but didn't seem to hold contact with ground as well. Hey sherpa do you have a legit reason for wanting Kerry elected? My boys that are over in the middle east right now dealing in lead don't agree with you. They don't want to open their ammo boxes and find food stamps because Kerry would rather help out the looser drug addicts that mooch off the system. Remember we may want different people elected, but the TERRORISTS want to kill every one no matter our political affiliation.

#10 ·
ianjenn said:
Hey I have had both single pivot an OPrange Patriot in early 2000. And an FSR team DH. The single pivot was lighter but didn't seem to hold contact with ground as well. Hey sherpa do you have a legit reason for wanting Kerry elected? My boys that are over in the middle east right now dealing in lead don't agree with you. They don't want to open their ammo boxes and find food stamps because Kerry would rather help out the looser drug addicts that mooch off the system. Remember we may want different people elected, but the TERRORISTS want to kill every one no matter our political affiliation.
you just insulted everybody on this forum.... :p
i'm just kidding, not all of us are drug addicts.

#11 ·
matt said:
you just insulted everybody on this forum.... :p
i'm just kidding, not all of us are drug addicts.
dont kid yourself matt....we all know the truth....me and others being on here at 2-3-4 in the moroning......,we got people bringing the same thread up again and again....can someone say memory loss......dont even get me started on the people who make the videos.....

j/k....only I am doing drugs....and how! :D

#12 ·
ianjenn said:
I don't respond to trolls.

-TS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.