Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is a Manitou Stance Kingpin DC worth it??

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  TWISTED 
#1 ·
Anyone have info on the new Manitou Stance Kingpin...vs. a Marz. Jr-T vs. Z150 vs. Rock Shox Boxxer Race...I have limited funds and am wondering in terms of performance which would work the best on an UZZI SLX usually kept in 7" mode in the rear. Thanks.

#3 ·
yeah the kingpin is the best preforming DC for the money....... I use the 03 slider (same fork minus an inch of travel, same tpc) Fork feels great... I have a bit of time on this fork and my buddies super T...they feel similar...... both are better then the jrT or boxxers...... I'd say go for it...

#4 ·
Felpur said:
yeah the kingpin is the best preforming DC for the money....... I use the 03 slider (same fork minus an inch of travel, same tpc) Fork feels great... I have a bit of time on this fork and my buddies super T...they feel similar...... both are better then the jrT or boxxers...... I'd say go for it...
Damn dude you've ridden a Kingpin?

-TS

#6 ·
TheSherpa said:
Damn dude you've ridden a Kingpin?

-TS
obviously since they just came out I havent ridden the kingpin....but since the fork is the same as the 03 sherman slider (which I have) with minor comsetic changes and 1" more of travel.... and a spiffy new name..... It's the same internals....... I like the feel of my sherman...I've had bad luck with manitou forks on their xc line... but this sherman " feels" great.....so the kingpin having the same internals....should also work great....and at that price you cant beat it... ;)

#7 ·
Felpur said:
obviously since they just came out I havent ridden the kingpin....but since the fork is the same as the 03 sherman slider (which I have) with minor comsetic changes and 1" more of travel.... and a spiffy new name..... It's the same internals....... I like the feel of my sherman...I've had bad luck with manitou forks on their xc line... but this sherman " feels" great.....so the kingpin having the same internals....should also work great....and at that price you cant beat it... ;)
Hmm are the internals 100% the same? Hah jk. I'd get a Kingpin if i wanted a great budget FR fork.

-TS

#8 ·
I've been wondering this same thing. I want an 03 Sherman
Slider (not +) without SPV and the 6" travel model- if anyone has one available pm me, I need one ASAP!
So can I get a Kingpin in 152mm travel? Where are these forks available right now, and what $ are they going for? They don't have SPV do they, because I really don't want it on a DC fork. Somebody fill me in. :confused:

#9 ·
BikeSATORI said:
I've been wondering this same thing. I want an 03 Sherman
Slider (not +) without SPV and the 6" travel model- if anyone has one available pm me, I need one ASAP!
So can I get a Kingpin in 152mm travel? Where are these forks available right now, and what $ are they going for? They don't have SPV do they, because I really don't want it on a DC fork. Somebody fill me in. :confused:
Kingpin has 170mm of travel not 152mm.....

#12 ·
I've been watching various forums and it seems nobody from the general public has ridden the Kingpin yet, probably because it isn't being released until Interbike (this week). However, I spoke to a tech at Manitou who had recently attended a new product update orientation. He said that it feels great (in his opinion even better than the 05 Slider) and Manitou expects it to be a huge seller. Also, I looked at the 05 Manitou catalog and it says that the Kingpin and Dorado both have position-sensitive TPC+ damping. Probably no compression damping adjustment on the Kingpin but impressive that the basic damping technology is the same as the Dorado. Still, I'd love to see a test . . . hate to end up with a dog, even if it is cheap.

#14 ·
well so far, the slider plus no good. I wanna see if the TPC+ internals from the king pin will work in my slider. I would be sooooo happy to get that crappy spv out of my fork. Just remember the old motto, you get what you pay for. I would expect to see quite a few problems with these new forks. Wish i could score one of those hot pink 888's that they have been floating around interbike. That would be sweet. Oh well live and learn.

#17 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
Really? hm....wasnt aware of it, out of curiosity where'd you find that out? I wouldnt doubt it, manitou does some odd things....
'05 Manitou OEM catatalog.
There are all kinds of options for all their forks. It is likely that not all models with all options will be available to the public, just the most popular.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.