Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rebuilding Shiver's

694 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
I have a pair of 2002 shiver dc's, the one side has developed oil rings, so it is in need of maintnience. I need a manual, or something to get me familiarized with the fork. any links would be appreciated, thanks. also if anyone knows anywhere in canada that sells parts for this fork, that would be appreciated.

Barrett

#2 ·
#3 ·
davet said:
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/shiver_01.pdf

There's your manual, it's for an '01, but there's no difference in the '02.

You can pick up a seal kit at just about any bike shop, or online at www.bikeroom.com. Be prepared to spend about $70 cdn.

Here's the link to the Bikeroom page http://www.bikeroom.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=FK9739
dont change the seals unless you know you have to, they are probably just a bit dirty so they get weepy.

change your oil and clean your seals a minimum of once per year. Mines almost 4 seasons old on the same seals and bushings.

#5 ·
painly said:
ok, is there anyway to clean the seals without taking them completely apart? the season here has about a month tops, left of riding. the seal on the leaking side is deffinitly dirty.

thanks
easiest way is to put the fork upside-down, unscrew the fool-nuts and pull the legs out. Then just wipe down the exposed seals and re-assemble. This way the oil doesnt drain out.

When the seasons done, drain the oil and give it a good cleaning; dirty oil wont help your forks health much.

#6 ·
zedro said:
easiest way is to put the fork upside-down, unscrew the fool-nuts and pull the legs out. Then just wipe down the exposed seals and re-assemble. This way the oil doesnt drain out.

When the seasons done, drain the oil and give it a good cleaning; dirty oil wont help your forks health much.
awsome will do. thanks for the help.

#11 · (Edited)
is there any way to measure the oil while doing the upside down rebuild>? i will obviously loose some doing the seal clean and ive lost some from the leak, so i will need to add some, but how much would be nice to know.

also i have only a slight clue of the "fool-nut" as being the nut at the bottom of the fork legs?

small update, i took the wheel off and went to compress each side seperately, they are both dialed in identical, however the "good" side, has a very even gradation in stiffness and rebound, whereas the leaky one compresses very easy at the start, and it also is very slow on the rebound, perhaps a sign of low oil? or perhaps just of the improper seal creating a vacum effect when the fork must return, slowly sucking in air it pushed out on compression. Its nice knowing that the fork lacking performance wasnt just in my head.

thanks

#12 ·
painly said:
is there any way to measure the oil while doing the upside down rebuild>? i will obviously loose some doing the seal clean and ive lost some from the leak, so i will need to add some, but how much would be nice to know.

also i have only a slight clue of the "fool-nut" as being the nut at the bottom of the fork legs?

small update, i took the wheel off and went to compress each side seperately, they are both dialed in identical, however the "good" side, has a very even gradation in stiffness and rebound, whereas the leaky one compresses very easy at the start, and it also is very slow on the rebound, perhaps a sign of low oil? or perhaps just of the improper seal creating a vacum effect when the fork must return, slowly sucking in air it pushed out on compression. Its nice knowing that the fork lacking performance wasnt just in my head.

thanks
turn the fork right side up and remove the top caps to check the oil height.

and thats FOOT-nut, not fool-nut, meaning the nut at the foot of the fork.

the dampers dont work properly upside-down since all the oil drains out.

read the manual, clean the seals, check your oil (or change your oil while your at it.

#13 ·
just finished cleaning the seals, and spraying some silicone on the sanctions, took it out for a bit after testing it in the house, still no leaks, and smooth good action. i was suprised how little dirt there was, mind you ive never done this before. enough crud to stain the towel, but not visble particles, anyways, i will check the oil height tommorow, and get some oil for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.