Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano XT rear der.: SG or SGS?

12K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  milhouse 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm about to give another chance to the Shimano XT der., but I noticed that there is two type: SG and SGS (this is the long cage version or something like that). What is the difference and which one should I buy? Is it depend on the cogset or what?

Regards,

Coldfire

#2 ·
Coldfire said:
Hi,
I'm about to give another chance to the Shimano XT der., but I noticed that there is two type: SG and SGS (this is the long cage version or something like that). What is the difference and which one should I buy? Is it depend on the cogset or what?

Regards,

Coldfire
If you don't have a front der. then I would use the short cage. You can use a short cage with a front der but I would use a 12-32 cassette. Pretty much the long cage allows for more slack in the chain and larger gear ratio. Short cage is better for FR & DH because there is less chance of getting it caught and bending it. Saying that, I would use a Scram der. I have XTR on my XC bike and Scram on my DH. Once the XTR breaks its going to be replaced with a Scram X9 or X0.

#3 ·
SG=medium cage (often referred as short cage) model, cage made of aluminum.
SGS=long cage model, cage made of steel/aluminum.
Rule of thumb is that with single front chainring use GS model,
Shorter cage also decreases chain slap. With two or three front chainrings use SGS.
But it's always good to check exact specs from Shimano website depending your driveline setup.

#4 ·
My casette is Shimano Deore 11-34 (CS-HG50/9) and I will use one 36T front ring. So as you said I will buy the SG version. Thank you very much!!! BTW I've checked Shimanos homepage but I couldnt find much info...

Coldfire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.