Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SPY PICS!!! NEMESIS PROJECT streetfighter frame and 100mm 66vf

5K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  snaky69 
#1 ·
Ok
I can't wait any longer have to let this one out of the bag , per say.

The bike pictured is a NEMESIS PROJECT streetfighter frame , this is a new factory in
northern califernia that I have been working with . They turn out some really cool stuff ,
they also happen to be the only U.S. factory working with Evil bikes on frame production .
There doing all the Sovereign bikes this year , so uh take notice!!

This is my personal streetfighter I just got back from paint , frame weight is 6lbs.
Full TruTemper butted tube set , 3 axis laser mitered as well as laser cut gusetts, full argon purge welding . Heattreated headtube and b/b shell as well as internal seattube gussett, the dropouts go through a propritary oil quenching to harden the material.

Angles are pretty straight froward , 70 seat , 72 head (skatpark specific), 21.5 TT, 13 seattube c-c 14.5 c-t, 12.5 b/b height , just a hair under 1000mm wheelbase.

The fork is a one off custom 66vf 100mm urban fork with hand built titanium internals and custom wound springs neg and upper,

Let me know what you think,thanks!!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
lastminutebastrd said:
Not that I don't believe you... but... exactly what internals were replaced with titanium? And why? Pretty close to raising the BS flag on that one.

Ok
The 66vf is a 150mm fork , I had to make new spacers to raise the cartrige up to reduce the travel from 150mm to 100mm .
Marzocchi has a 22.20 mm plastic spacer in the fork between the top out spring and the
C clip that holds the cartrige in .
The part that was replace with Ti was the spacer since I will be selling this kit later I'm not going to tell you too much more, I could have used plastic or aluminum or what ever
just happened to have Ti in the right size around the garage this morning.
The springs are the tough part to change the travel to also change the spring rate and the oil volume inside the fork , this is where the custom springs come into play , the spacer really only took 20min to make. you also need to replace the negitive spring .
Most people would be fine with a dj1 for a street / urban fork the 66 is the stiffest thing outthere and great for street and park riding plus it just looks burly !!

#12 ·
Guess I wasn't the only one with the short travel 66 idea. Looks great! I want a 3" 66. Because of the 66's super tall build, it will fit perfectly on today's hardcore hardtails designed around 4-5" forks, like the Evil DOC. I'd love to hear more about your kit and who made your springs.

#13 ·
100mm VF

Sam Alter said:
im with him...why not jsut get a sherman jumper?
The VF isnt their high end freeride model , the RC has all the super nice damping and valves , the VF is the cheep OEM version with SSVF internals .
The reason I didn't get a dirt jumper 1 this years model is sand color ( that would look great on met green) also it weighs more than my Z150 from last year over 7lbs!!
The 66vf as it sits on my bike is 6.9 oz , a bit lighter but the biggest differnce is that this is a Skatepark / street specific bike I wanted the fork to be stiff for wallrides , airs ect.

As for the Sherman , I don't like the shermans feel and Marzocchi has always been really nice to me . P

Thanks for your comments on the frame , the paint really is sick!!! thank you

Stem is a Deity http://www.deitycomponents.com

See you in Vegas!!

#15 ·
Nice rig. Lets see some full built pics.
Not a big fan of the fancy sparkle paint. Too cute for me.
as for the short travl 66, even w/ 48 spoke wheels, you probably wont feel that much difference in stiffness over a 32mm stanchion fork with only 4in of travel. Looks sweet though, but seriously, the only reason the stanchions are so big on a 66 is to accomadate the long travel, which you no longer have.
Anyway, it's your hot rod, not mine, so build on!

#21 ·
The color is chick magnet green

bentimby said:
ya the frames sick but with that color some ppl might think your a ***...
The color is called chick magnet green after working on the bike at a local shop for a sec the other day , I got the digits from a hot kayak chic ! So not a ***

Acadian did a full story on pink bike , I will post complete bike pics tomarrow before I leave for Vegas!!

#22 ·
Evil4bc said:
The color is called chick magnet green after working on the bike at a local shop for a sec the other day , I got the digits from a hot kayak chic ! So not a ***

Acadian did a full story on pink bike , I will post complete bike pics tomarrow before I leave for Vegas!!
That is straight pimpilicious, love the paint...

let the haters hate...whatever....

I like the fork idea , too... it's cool to be the square nut in a round world sometimes....

braaaap!

#23 ·
All the stuff done to the frame is perty standard for a machine shop except for the laser which does not mean squat (the laser cuts the metal) I do have a question why dident you have the hole frame heatreted (to releave the stress from welding) thats the only thing I think you missed . Looks like a nice bike hope it lives up to your expatations.

#24 ·
Cannon_Fodder said:
All the stuff done to the frame is perty standard for a machine shop except for the laser which does not mean squat (the laser cuts the metal) I do have a question why dident you have the hole frame heatreted (to releave the stress from welding) thats the only thing I think you missed . Looks like a nice bike hope it lives up to your expatations.
heat treating and stress relieving are different things...just because you've done one locally doesnt necessarily imply the other wasent done, or was required. Although i'm curious too...maybe to surface harden the contact areas between the BB and the headset, without embrittling the rest of the tubeset?

#25 ·
to stress relieave the frame it would have to be heat treated have to and if they heated treated the bb and head tube and then welded it you have ruinded your heat treat .
zedro said:
heat treating and stress relieving are different things...just because you've done one locally doesnt necessarily imply the other wasent done, or was required. Although i'm curious too...maybe to surface harden the contact areas between the BB and the headset, without embrittling the rest of the tubeset?

#26 ·
Cannon_Fodder said:
to stress relieave the frame it would have to be heat treated have to and if they heated treated the bb and head tube and then welded it you have ruinded your heat treat .
sorry, i am long winded.....blah blah blah.

i have to toss my hat in the ring of curious people. i dont really see a big reason to use such material and processing intensive techniques on parts like bbs, headtubes and dropouts.

dropouts: i suppose with more and more people using long horizontal style dropouts à la BMX frames, but for some reason longer, there might be a need to beef up the dropsout. i used to bend dropouts on my BMX frames pretty regularly, but i always thought an extra mm or two of thickness would prolly fix that problem pretty quickly. I am not a big fan of doing special heat treats in general, especially when I am not 100% familiar with the material, the company or the fabricators (this is not necessarily a specific reference to the nemesis project). A good reason for this: temper embrittlement.

headtube ovalizing problems: seems again to be a good place for a little extra material and not necessarily a heat treat as the solution.

bb: has anyone ever in the history of bikes had the bb-tube portion of the frame itself fail? the weld maybe. the bb definitely, but the bb tube? come to think of it, i did ding one once, but is it that common?

of course using differently heat treated parts in different areas on the frame is possible. in fact, it is a great idea. the trouble is that a lot of thought and prolly money has to go into finding the right HT / weld / HT sequence to get all of the desirable properties from all of the different parts. in the end to do it optimally, its gonna be a lot of work and prolly not worth it if you arent making a bazillion frames....just use thicker tubes.

i wrote this not to bash the frame, but to learn why these guys are doing what they do? anyone who actually knows (that means i dont wanna hear regurgitated-magazine-ad-techno-drivel) wanna clue me in?

ps the 'bike' looks cool, but get the stem painted to match. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.