Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

boxxer team or 01 monster?

1K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  BJ- 
#1 ·
Ive had an 01monster for a while on my Giant dh and I just got a 03 boxxer team with the romic and blackbox upgrade. I really like the idea of saving three pounds on but am a little worried about the durability of the boxxer. I figure theres got to be a reason all the pros are running boxxers. I was just hoping someone here had some info to help make my decision. Of course I will ride both before deciding but im wondering about long term performance of the boxxer.

by the way I will either have a boxxer or a monster for sale if anyone is interested

#2 ·
wgcviii said:
Ive had an 01monster for a while on my Giant dh and I just got a 03 boxxer team with the romic and blackbox upgrade. I really like the idea of saving three pounds on but am a little worried about the durability of the boxxer. I figure theres got to be a reason all the pros are running boxxers. I was just hoping someone here had some info to help make my decision. Of course I will ride both before deciding but im wondering about long term performance of the boxxer.

by the way I will either have a boxxer or a monster for sale if anyone is interested
well you pretty much have your finger on it, weight vs. durability. Pros arent as concerned about durabilty because they want fast run times and get these things for free or heavily discounted should they break in a crash.

#4 ·
wgcviii said:
what about these racer guys that arent sponsored but are going huge on boxxers? Im not concerned about maintnence[ i take great care of my stuff] I just dont want it to break while doing a drop or jump.
again, the key word is 'racer'....they want light more than anything else. If you are worried about durability, dont get it. Not saying it'll fold like paper, but just saying relative to other forks out there.

#14 ·
Shivers Right!

Shiver hit the nail on the head; Boxxers leak all the time. Save yourself the frustration and sell that fork as soon as possible. Take it from me, you will regret buying a boxxer pretty much after a few weeks (that's the amount of time it took for my World Cup to blow). I've also known a few people to put holes in their sliders...they are disposible forks. I don't even want to get started on their customer service...

Remember the pros ride them because they get payed to ride them, and they get rebuilt after every race. Look and the ams and semi-pros who ride Boxxers, almost all of them are leaking...

#17 ·
boxxers are great bloody forks...

dont listen to anyone on MTBR...there great forks that when are regualrly serviced/mantiained and used for there specific purpose which is DH...peform exceptionally well...

theres a reason here in aus a boxxer is the most popular fork youll see on DH bikes...keep it...

#18 ·
Don't listen to it....

wgcviii said:
Thanks for the info but im still undecided.I rode the boxxer and it feels pretty sweet but its hard to give up my good ol monster. If i do sell the monster whats it worth, its in perfect shape.
You can't go too wrong with a boxxer...I was a die hard zokie fan until I bought a Giant Dh team with an '02 black box boxxer... Weight makes a huge difference with race forks, but the duribility issue isn't as clear cut as some M fans would argue. Obviously, the Marazocchi is higher quality with seals, and the weight is higher because of the attention to strength, but the boxxer can take abuse too. I have hucked 15 foot cliff drops and the boxxer is still great-- But I replace the seals and revamp the oil every season. If you like the boxxer and want it to work extemely well, send it to Hippe tech in Boise, Idaho. They have the magic touch when it comes to making boxxers perform super well. If you just huck and jump big sh#@, then the weight should never be an issue, so keep the Monster, but if you race, I would definitely take the boxxer... Just be prepared to put new seals and change the oil regularly.

#19 ·
wgcviii said:
Ive had an 01monster for a while on my Giant dh and I just got a 03 boxxer team with the romic and blackbox upgrade. I really like the idea of saving three pounds on but am a little worried about the durability of the boxxer. I figure theres got to be a reason all the pros are running boxxers.
Considering you have both I dont need to tell you the advantages of both. The Pro's are running the boxxers because they're light and fast forks whereas a monster is just that, a monster. I've owned 2 monsters, 2000, and 2002 with 2000 having adjustable compression and rebound. The 2000 year model definately out performed the 02 by leaps and bounds but thats also due to internal settings and oil weight and type (motul buddy!). You could also set your monster up to be a race fork if you really wanted. Which could be the best middleground for you.

So overall, I would say if you're not to competitive but like to race, I'd have to recommend the Monster just for overall durability and abuse readiness. I've had a few friends on Boxxers with the aforementioned seal issues. Also, standing in the lift lines up in Whistler you get to see A LOT of leaky boxxers.

So it all depends on the majority of the riding you do and of course, how smooth you are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.