Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what is a progressive frame design?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Acadian 
#1 ·
the title pretty much says it all.

#2 ·
I'm assuming you mean a progressive suspension rate? Essentially, it a frame where the ratio (shock travel/wheel travel) increase as the bike moves into it's travel. For example, frame X, Has 9" tavel with a 3" stroke shock. The 1st 3" of travel compress the shock .75", the 3"- 6" portion of the wheel travel compresses the shock 1", and the final 3" of travel compress the shock 1.25". This makes the suspension stiffer as the bike moves deeper into it's travel, which can help keep the bike supple on the little stuff, and not bottom on the bigger stuff. Basically.

#3 ·
o

Pentacle said:
I'm assuming you mean a progressive suspension rate? Essentially, it a frame where the ratio (shock travel/wheel travel) increase as the bike moves into it's travel. For example, frame X, Has 9" tavel with a 3" stroke shock. The 1st 3" of travel compress the shock .75", the 3"- 6" portion of the wheel travel compresses the shock 1", and the final 3" of travel compress the shock 1.25". This makes the suspension stiffer as the bike moves deeper into it's travel, which can help keep the bike supple on the little stuff, and not bottom on the bigger stuff. Basically.
ok cool. what kind of a desing in the frame makes that happen?

#7 ·
red5 said:
So basically an FSR. Correct?
an FSR design wont necessarilly give you a progressive rate. And when i say 4 bar, it can mean a suspension system like FSR, VPP, DW-Link, Lawill etc, or a single pivot with a linkage driven shock. But mearly having 4 bars does not garantee a progressive rate, in fact in can give quite the opposite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.