Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sunrise climb unofficial record

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  cjaghblb 
#1 ·
Just wanted to post a little friendly unofficial record of the Sunrise climb in the Mcdowell Mountains. The official start we have been using is the crossing sign of ringtail cat/sunrise climb (where they meet). Climb ends at the very top prior to decending the backside. Not sure of elevation gain or gradient (haven't downloaded garmin) but distance is 2.18 miles. Fastest time to date 18:35 :eekster: by Mr. Easy E (Salstrand). I have managed a 19:41 :madman: . Go out and give the record a try and lets see if someone can lower it.

#3 ·
Benham trail, 1900' in 4.5 miles,

Spruce Mtn, 1300 in 3.5 miles, over 8% average and occasionally over 20%,

Trail 62, averages over 10%, occasionally 20%

Smith Ravine, averages over 10%, occasionally 20%

Come up here and get some STEEP climbs!

Screenshot of Spruce Mtn:

Attachments

#4 ·
where is the end? Is it past the horse tie or the highest point where there is a hiking trail off to the right or when the trail actually goes back down a little and you can sit and hang out under the tree were there is another hiking trail to the right and if you go any further you really start going down?

#5 ·
Hey Jayem.....Where is up here? Always up for a good climb and new trails

Koz575 - The end is past the horse tie and continue climbing to shade tree, just prior to decent of backside of trail. Thats the re-group area and official climb end.

#8 ·
Sunrise TT

YT-

Thanks for posting those times. I was sitting on the idea of a Sunrise TT...the Helipad TT is really taking off, and since you and your buddy have already posted some fast times I went ahead and set up the Sunrise TT:
http://sunrisett.blogspot.com/

You and Salstrand have the top two spots. Anyone else who wants to give it a go can post their times on the blog.

#11 ·
Huh...I always thought Sunrise was steeper than 8% average. Those are some fast times, though. I've never clocked myself going up so I have no clue how fast I would compare. And I've never ridden that hill "fresh" ... it's always been after riding 1 or 2 other passes first.

The only climb I've timed myself on is Shaw Butte, and my fastest up that was 15 mins and change. That climb is 800' gain in 1.2 miles, or appx 13% grade on average....and there's a few short spots that hit 40%.

Thx...Doug

#12 ·
dgangi said:
Huh...I always thought Sunrise was steeper than 8% average. Those are some fast times, though. I've never clocked myself going up so I have no clue how fast I would compare. And I've never ridden that hill "fresh" ... it's always been after riding 1 or 2 other passes first.
Dood...do this - I want to see your time.

Start at 128th St., do a nice warm-up spin up Ringtail to the juncture with Sunrise (1/2 mile of very gradual up-grade), then launch it from the signpost.

*tapping foot*...go...now...

#13 ·
Jayem said:
Come up here and get some STEEP climbs!
The McDowells are steep. They are fun to ride as well.

The difference for me is that the trails you mention all involve some hike a bike for me usually (certainly when on the SS). Sunrise is painful, but cleanable on the SS. I liked it quite a lot.

20 minutes sounds like a good anaerobic effort and great after work ride. I'll time it next time if/when I get to Scottsdale.

#14 ·
My Time

So this thread has been dead for over a year but I decided to give the trail a go and ran it in 31:05. Just picked low gear on the center chainring and plugged away. I can't see picking up 12+ minutes any time soon to compete with the times posted above but will see how far down in the 20s I can go. 29:55 will work for me :eek:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.