Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

big hit or iron horse free ride??

811 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  RED5 
#1 ·
ok guys whats ur opinion???

#3 ·
Well, I guess its what your looking for. The Team version has an amazing spec set on it....dee max wheels, sherman breakout plus (which I reeally like.) the one point five head tube, which gives you the options beyond belief. Moving down to the expert package. You still get good stuff, but at a price point thats hard to beat.

The Big Hit is an awsome bike also, very versatile at that. The specs are nice as well.

My suggestion is ride both bikes, and get the feel for what your really trying to ride. If you would like to post more information about your current setup and what you ride, I would be more then willing to give more advice.

#4 ·
I would say it depends really on which model of either bike you want to go with. I have been looking at getting one of the Ironhorse rigs myself. If you are getting the high end model (Team/Expert). I think that the Ironhorse has better components than the Big Hit. The Ironhorse has a 5th Element rear shock compared to the Big Hits Swinger 4-way. The Sherman Breakout Plus on the IH is probably a better freeride fork being a single crown fork with the same amount of travel as the zoke Jr T on the Big Hit. The Sherman is just a better fork with SPV and more external adjustments. I am a totally Marzocchi guy but the Jr T is entry level compared.

Specialized designed the rear suspension on the IH and e13 linkage is kick A@$. Bottom line is that rims, tires, cranks, SRAM components etc.. are way better on the IH Team. Also you can get the IH Team at Supergo for $2500 where as the cheapest I have seen the Big Hit Expert is $2400 and that was on clearance at a LBS and they only had one in a Large frame.

Hope this post is helpful. I have been trying to make the same decisions myself. I have in narrowed down to either the Ironhorse SGS freeride Team or the SGS DH Team. Also you should check out the IH SGS freeride Team write up in Mountain Bike mag either the Oct or Nov issue cause it was really good.

Hope you like your new bike :p

#9 ·
i have to admit...what u said could mean anythinf from the older SGS freeride iron horses...to the newer DWs (it hink there 1.5s or summin like that) to the Yakukas...and which year and all that crap...be more specific for starters coz thats helping no one...

then maby ill answer ur question...

#10 ·
BJ, my posts are refering to 04 IH SGS bikes and the 04 Spec. Big Hit expert. I am also shopping around for a new rig. I pretty much have narrowed it down to either the 04 Ironhorse SGS DH team or the 04 SGS freeride Team. I am going to scrap the fork on either bike to get a Marzocchi. I've been looking at get an 04 Super T pro (now), or either an 05 888 VF or an 05 66 RC when available.

I would love to get some opions on a good DH rig. I really like the 04 SGS DH Team's components and I can get one for $2000. All I think I would need before I could ride it would be a new fork.

#11 ·
noxx said:
BJ, my posts are refering to 04 IH SGS bikes and the 04 Spec. Big Hit expert. I am also shopping around for a new rig. I pretty much have narrowed it down to either the 04 Ironhorse SGS DH team or the 04 SGS freeride Team. I am going to scrap the fork on either bike to get a Marzocchi. I've been looking at get an 04 Super T pro (now), or either an 05 888 VF or an 05 66 RC when available.

I would love to get some opions on a good DH rig. I really like the 04 SGS DH Team's components and I can get one for $2000. All I think I would need before I could ride it would be a new fork.
yeh the sunday teams are gunna be around 6000aus... i have no idea how much that is in the us...

(PM TWISTED...he is in charge of quality controll of the company who makes the dam things...he might know...or no somone who does...didnt hear it fomr me tho)

ok the DH team compared to the FR team has a stronger rear linkage (thicker stays) more travel (8" instead of 6" i think) a longer wheel base..a steeper head angle (for racing) and is a very well speced bike...depending on what ur goign to be doing...if ur going to be doing alot of climbing and slow technical stuff as well as going big id go the FF with the super-t...but if not and u want it to be more of a DH shuttle bike then id go the DH...with the fork upgrade also...either are great bikes and pretty much identical except for a few inches in the rear...

the big hit is a great bike...dont get me wrong...but the specs compared are just crap...i personally would choose the big hit frame over the SGS anyday but not only do the spec but the fork sucks to...so as a build i would go either of the SGSs...

as fo the other guy he needs to give more info...before anyone can decode that mumbo jumbo and help him...

#12 ·
BJ- said:
yeh the sunday teams are gunna be around 6000aus... i have no idea how much that is in the us...
The Sunday Team will have a US retail approx $4000.

(PM TWISTED...he is in charge of quality controll of the company who makes the dam things...he might know...or no somone who does...didnt hear it fomr me tho)
For official Iron Horse info please only PM ska todd or dante. We prefer that you use the Iron Horse board here on MTBR or the one on hcor though.

ok the DH team compared to the FR team has a stronger rear linkage (thicker stays) more travel (8" instead of 6" i think) a longer wheel base..a steeper head angle (for racing) and is a very well speced bike...depending on what ur goign to be doing...if ur going to be doing alot of climbing and slow technical stuff as well as going big id go the FF with the super-t...but if not and u want it to be more of a DH shuttle bike then id go the DH...with the fork upgrade also...either are great bikes and pretty much identical except for a few inches in the rear...
Most of what you said is spot on. The SGS-DH has a beefier swingarm, longer wheelbase, wider hub & BB, & lower BB height. The headangle on the SGS-DH is SLACKER than the SGS-FR models. This is for stability at speed when racing. The SGS-FR Team/Pro models have 7" travel, the Expert has 6".

If running a front der is a priority for you then you will want the SGS-FR model. The SGS-DH is not easily FD compatible.

-ska todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.