Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

miscellaneous thread

617 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  flyingwalrus 
#1 ·
hola! I just thought I'd get all my stupid questions out in one thread. First off, how do you get grips on if your parents are too hippyish to have hairspray? And even if they did, how would you use it?

Also, my friend is thinking of buying my '01 Giant Boulder SE. I realize that this is not a FR bike, but could it be used for light to intermediate FR with upgrades (hubs, wheels, fork, handlebar, stem, seatpost, etc?) Or will the frame just break? (it seems like a fairly beefy frame for the type of bike that it is,though) He wants to buy it now and make upgrades as stuff breaks.

Last thing, I just got my license and I'm stoked!!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
Congratulations..

on the license. Be smart. I cannot count the number of times I lost my license when I first got it, to speeding tickets.

As for grips you can use rubbing alcohol as well as. Lightly coat the inside of the grips with either the hairspray or alcohol and slide them on. I go tired of the hassle of reg. grips and now use Lock-On Grips, much easier.

A hardtail is a good place to start for DH/FR stuff. It will teach him to be a smoother rider. Also, better to spend less money on a training bike, so you don't waste money by destroying more $$$$ bikes.

#4 ·
thanks for the replies, but if I use rubbing alcohol, will that actually help the grip slide on better?
Also, please reply to other ?'s thanks a bunch

#7 · (Edited)
flyingwalrus said:
First off, how do you get grips on if your parents are too hippyish to have hairspray? And even if they did, how would you use it?

Also, my friend is thinking of buying my '01 Giant Boulder SE. I realize that this is not a FR bike, but could it be used for light to intermediate FR with upgrades (hubs, wheels, fork, handlebar, stem, seatpost, etc?) Or will the frame just break? (it seems like a fairly beefy frame for the type of bike that it is,though) He wants to buy it now and make upgrades as stuff breaks.

Last thing, I just got my license and I'm stoked!!!!!!!!!
1. Re: Grips- Use your license and run to your local beauty supply store and get your hair spray. For <$1, you can make all your grip troubles disappear. Best thing is...you may even have enough left over to feather your hair back and make that mullet look as good as it can.
2. Re: Giant Boulder- Everybody needs to start someplace. Like Red said above, get it and learn on that. Then as you progress, work your way up to a better bike that suits your area of domination. It should hold up till you case that 20 gap or huck 16' to flat.
3. Re: License- There ain't nothing better than you and a buddy flying down a country road at 95mph in Moms minivan (that you just put $3 worth of gas in) with the parking brake ON, windows down, BonJovi cranked so loud that the distortion itself is making the glove box door come undone. Bottoming out the minivan so hard, your neck snaps as it bounces off the interior roof. The wind rushes in the window so fast that your eyes tear up and your nose starts to run. The handicapped card on the rear view mirror is swinging around like a sword. Meanwhile, your hair is PERFECT. All this excitement just from a $1 bottle of Aussie hairspray.
Ahhh. I miss those days :D
(edit) - The day after, you Mom asks why the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on? You tell her "I dunno."

#11 ·
I could never keep my grips on with hairspray and rubbing alchohol. Finally, I had an idea! I drenched my bars in hairspray, lit them on fire....and the spray got really tacky. Slid my grips on easily, and let it dry for like 10 minutes. Mind you, its hard to get them back off :D

I finally got a set of Ruffian Loc-ons.....best idea ever!

#12 ·
BJ- said:
since when is rubbing alcohol gunna help keep grips on...
OMG

Can you read.

flyingwalrus said:
First off, how do you get grips on
Don't be a dumbass. I take it you are yet again commenting on something you haven't tried yet are somehow an expert on the subject.

Rubbing alcohol helps to get them on and because it's alcohol it dries faster than say water or hairspray, so you can get out riding your bike quicker.

#14 ·
SuperSlow said:
wd 40 works very well on the grips
Thats what I'm talking about, but if you do use the WD40, let them dry good before you start to ride or twist your grips. the whole hairspray thing will work but you have to watch out for humidity, it sounds stupid I know, but when it gets real humid, hairspray tends to break free. but......ODI is the sh*t, get them!!!! :D :D

#15 ·
thanks....oh, and the bike is not for me by the way. I will be selling it to my friend for probably like 100$ it's old, and it was my original FR rig.

And that was a great story, except it would be in my mom's '95 passat wagon :p

Yeah, I could go out and buy hairspray, but the thing is, you see, I'm really quite lazy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.