Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clipless....

510 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DJrider04 
#1 ·
Finally thinking about running clipless for DH racing. I rode a friends MalletM's the other day, and was amazed how much a regular shoe gripped compared to many Shimano's ive tried. I was checking out shoes, and I noticed that Oakley has come out with some clipless shoes with a special rubber sole...dont know if its as good as the sticky rubber intenses though. Anybody else try these, or run clipless for Dh?

See less See more
#3 ·
Let me help you...

Let me be the first to say what is undoubtly the deciding factor to most peoples decision to purchase anything bike related around here these days.

Cedric Gracia (or insert any pro DH rider name) uses them, they must be the best!!! I'd get'em.

Now for a serious take. They look like they'd be pretty cool for Mallets, appear to have a very low interface around the cleat area. Mallets seem to have fitment problems with allot of shoes, I have yet to find a pair that hasn't needed to be shimmed and I hate those friggin shims. Hence the reason my Mallets are sitting in a drawer.

If you decide to try'em do a write up.

#4 ·
I think I will be ordering them shortly, and thanks. Thats why I was happy when I found them, because I was going to get the regular Radar's. They look like even if they arent clipped in, or if u cant find the pedal, that they would stick. The Mallet's are definetly sweet pedals....

#5 ·
DJrider04 said:
Finally thinking about running clipless for DH racing. I rode a friends MalletM's the other day, and was amazed how much a regular shoe gripped compared to many Shimano's ive tried. I was checking out shoes, and I noticed that Oakley has come out with some clipless shoes with a special rubber sole...dont know if its as good as the sticky rubber intenses though. Anybody else try these, or run clipless for Dh?

Those look really nice! How much are they running?

BTW, I only run clipless. Won't have it any other way!

#7 ·
Durability...

DJrider04 said:
Its $100 for the pair, which isnt that bad considering its Oakley....and the Shimano ones are around there, but dont look nearly as nice.
Yes they certainly look nice, but i'd question their durability. I know the Oakley gloves were huge pieces of crap. They would constantly tear at the seams, after only a month of use and that was for XC riding, no DH.

It's nice that CG, uses them, but remember he's a sponsored rider and probably has 12 pair at his disposal at all times. I know their regular shoes are nice and seem to last, but DH riding is a whole different ballgame as far as durability.

Not telling you not to try them, just be wary and check the warranty first, just in case. :D

#8 ·
Well there is no way they are going to compare to my DVS in durobility(sp?). More than a year later everything is intact with doing 5+ DH trips, 6 or 7 races, and just normal wear and tear. The only part with slight wear is the side of the upper part of the shoe by the heel/ankle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.