Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

24" wheel pro's / con's?

1K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  RED5 
#1 ·
What are some of the pro's / con's of running a 24" rear wheel. I'd like to change the geometry of my bike and a 24 would lower the rear 1". I am pretty sure that I read a 24 is stronger but I wonder if the smaller diameter means it won't roll over things as well. Any one w/ 24 experience or switched from a 26? Thanx

#2 ·
Info...

Pros:
1. lowers ride height
2. Shorter spokes provide stronger wheels
3. Quicker Acceleration = less Centripetal Force (moment of inertia)
4. Lighter wheels equals better performance and a more efficient suspension system
5. Easier to climb with; 24 wheel pedals easier, but slower.
6. Lower CG means better tracking and stablilty

Cons:
1. Slower. Quicker deceleration, overall top speed is slower than a 26.
2. Low CG means pedal hits are more common.
3. Does not ride through rough (rocky) terrain as easily as a 26, has a tendency to get hung up on objects causing slight loss in speed.
4. Takes more rider effort to attain the same speed as could be attained from a larger (26) wheel.
5. Tire selection still not the best. Sizes for most good tires are limited to mostly 2.5 and up.

Personally, unless the bike was designed to run a 24 or it's going to be used as an Urban/Jump/FR bike I wouldn't suggest a 24. However, if your bike has been designed with provisions to run a 24, like the Banshee Scream, then go for it.

And remember ultimately if you don't like it you can always go back to the 26.

The highlighted red # 2 con really only applies to bikes not designed to run a 24. Big Hit's and simliar bikes that were, will not exhibit this trait anymore than a bike running 26's would.

#3 ·
Here is my list

I run both 26" and 24" rear wheels on my Imperial to match the type of riding I am doing. The 26" is my all-around wheel, the 24" is for steep terrain (I use it on NS type trails and at Whistler).

Some effects of 24" rear (some can be either pro or con depending on what you are after):

Slackens out the head tube angle
Wheel is stronger than the same build in 26"
Gearing is lowered by a 24/26 ratio
Accelerates faster
Lower bottom bracket (I drag pedals and crank arms more with the 24")
Lower CG
Fewer rim and tire choices

I have not really notices a problem with not being able to roll over things as well.

#4 ·
The bike in question is a 2001 Bullit. I want to run a longer rear shock but want to maintain the present geometry. I figure the longer shock raises my BB by about 1" so a 24 would bring me back to the orig. geometry. My main concern thus far would any loss of rear control in rocky areas.

#7 ·
keen said:
The bike in question is a 2001 Bullit. I want to run a longer rear shock but want to maintain the present geometry. I figure the longer shock raises my BB by about 1" so a 24 would bring me back to the orig. geometry. My main concern thus far would any loss of rear control in rocky areas.
My question is why? Not to be rude, but it's a Bullit. JK, but seriously are your really going to gain that much more travel? I highly doubt it.

As for rocky areas. You may or may not notice a difference, it's really dependent upon how sensitive you are to the bike. Let me ask you this. Do you notice the brake jack in your Bullit? If not then you probably won't notice the subtle way a 24 tends to hang going through rock sections. If so then you might notice some difference.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. It's not like your going to be flying through a rock garden and WHAM you bike comes to a sudden halt launching you OTB. That's not going happen. It's never happened to me and I've had a 24 in the rear for years (pun intended). :D

To quote a phase:
Do it.
Do what?
Do it!

G
#8 ·
My list ( have probably been heard already, but ill say it anyways)
Pros:
Better Acceleration
Better braking in rear
Easier to pull up front end***
Lighter
Stronger, because of shorter spokes as said.
Looks cooler on almost any bike.

Cons:
Slower top speed
crappier selection for tires and rims
Doesent roll over rocks and bumps as easy
Could hit pedals on rocks more often

*** havent been mentioned... i think..

#12 ·
Master_Jako said:
eh, you guys and your tire selection/rim problems...throw on mag 30's and highrollers and you good to go...at least on the east coast....... ;)

oh, and on the subject, i like how my rear 24 digs into corners better. i ride bighit BTW.
No probelms here, Kenda hooks me up fine, 2.5 Nevegal is da'shiat. Just wish for off season they made a lighter casing 24 x 2.3 for messing around. No biggie though.

#13 ·
Maybe in dry conditions

Master_Jako said:
eh, you guys and your tire selection/rim problems...throw on mag 30's and highrollers and you good to go...at least on the east coast....... ;)

oh, and on the subject, i like how my rear 24 digs into corners better. i ride bighit BTW.
I'll secong the Mag30 (heavey but strong), I rode CBC in wet condiitons on my 24" High Roller and was wishing for better traction. Planning on moving to a Nevegal for the rest of the wet season. Only reservation is if they work with Stan's, tried it with the folding bead version without luck. Hopefully the DH casing will seal.

#14 ·
zedro said:
is it this time of the month again?
wait a sec man i havnt said anything yet...

anyways im seriosly contenplating switching a new RMX Pro im looking at to 24"s...im confident if i do it ill run...SPINERGY Fall Line FR rims...or Atomic Laboratories Trail Pimps...with Michelin DH Comp 32 2.8 tyres...laced to the current SAINT hubs that run on it...

im hoping with a heigh BB height i can get away with it...if not then im gunna ahve some sweet 24"s with nuttin to do with em...

but whats with everyone and quotes in there signatures...is it like the new craze or summin...like how posting if ur in the 1000club was kool etc...

(also EV thinks if i get away with it hell try it on his stinky...could you put 24"s on a stinky or is that a disaster waiting to happen)

but remember all these pros and cons...are cummin from MTBR memebrs...were all bloody snobs and pick out the finest details of any and everything...we all just liek to sound smart...so u may not even notice that much of a difference for anything theve said except for the lower BB and stanover height...

but im looking forward to trying it...

(if i get to it quicker than u do...ill make sure i post it up when i do)

#15 ·
BJ- said:
anyways im seriosly contenplating switching a new RMX Pro im looking at to 24"s...im confident if i do it ill run...SPINERGY Fall Line FR rims...or Atomic Laboratories Trail Pimps...with Michelin DH Comp 32 2.8 tyres...laced to the current SAINT hubs that run on it...

im hoping with a heigh BB height i can get away with it...if not then im gunna ahve some sweet 24"s with nuttin to do with em...

(also EV thinks if i get away with it hell try it on his stinky...could you put 24"s on a stinky or is that a disaster waiting to happen)

but remember all these pros and cons...are cummin from MTBR memebrs...were all bloody snobs and pick out the finest details of any and everything...we all just liek to sound smart...so u may not even notice that much of a difference for anything theve said except for the lower BB and stanover height...

but im looking forward to trying it...

(if i get to it quicker than u do...ill make sure i post it up when i do)
Maybe I'm confused, but it definitely sounds like you are. Mich Comp32's 2.8 don't come in a 24, just like the Mavic DeeMax you mentioned in another post. Just thought you should know, so you don't get your hopes up. :D

#16 ·
I've run both... I have a 24 on my Banshee Chapperal, what everyone has stated already is pretty much true...pro and cons..... depending on trail conditions the disparity between them isnt a whole lot...the biggest time there is ever a con for running the 24 is if your doing technical trail riding, It just means you have to pick your lines a bit more carfully as the lower height means you will wack your pedals on roots and rocks... If your trails arent chalk full of roots and rocks like what we have up here in maine...then even this shouldnt be much of an issue... for messing around the 24 rocks.... it's easier to throw the bike around, and the wheels are bombproof....... in a subjective point...24 feel like they place you in the frame, while 26 feel more like sitting on top of the bike...

#17 ·
red5 said:
No probelms here, Kenda hooks me up fine, 2.5 Nevegal is da'shiat. Just wish for off season they made a lighter casing 24 x 2.3 for messing around. No biggie though.
lighter 24" tire - check out a Spec. Roller RS 24x2.3, which is ~800g I think (single CAP ply?), not quite as knobby as the Nev (or sticky, 55a I think), and pretty cheap.

#18 ·
red5 said:
Maybe I'm confused, but it definitely sounds like you are. Mich Comp32's 2.8 don't come in a 24, just like the Mavic DeeMax you mentioned in another post. Just thought you should know, so you don't get your hopes up.
oh crap...

that would be right...i wanst sure about the dee max wheels but i thought michelin did...dam...ok well whats a really grippy tyre with out much rolling resistence (if there is such a thing) thats 2.8" - 3"...that i could get in australia...and has a soft/med compound...that of course somes in 24" size...

#20 ·
BJ- said:
oh crap...

that would be right...i wanst sure about the dee max wheels but i thought michelin did...dam...ok well whats a really grippy tyre with out much rolling resistence (if there is such a thing) thats 2.8" - 3"...that i could get in australia...and has a soft/med compound...that of course somes in 24" size...
Honestly, if size and grip are important you only have one choice Arrow Wide Bite. It comes in a 3.0 and a soft compound for better grip...check/em out here Arrow Wide Bite

#22 ·
red5 said:
Honestly, if size and grip are important you only have one choice Arrow Wide Bite. It comes in a 3.0 and a soft compound for better grip...check/em out here Arrow Wide Bite
will do...

but how would they compare...to other tyres...are they really dam good...because i hate nothing more than not having grip when bombing down trails...especially in the wet or through loose soil...what are other wide...grippy tyres...

#23 ·
Everyone makes it seem like some HUGE deal. Im running a 26 inch Mag 30 with some Michy Comp 32 2.8 rubber, and a 24 inch Mag 30 with an Intense DH EX 3.0 in the rear. If you measure the actual height from the floor, the Michy is only about 1/4 inch taller. The larger tire makes the rear wheel feel like a 26. Seriously though, its not that big of a deal. All of these posts make it sound like your going to see all of these huge differences....

#24 ·
BJ- said:
will do...

but how would they compare...to other tyres...are they really dam good...because i hate nothing more than not having grip when bombing down trails...especially in the wet or through loose soil...what are other wide...grippy tyres...
Check out Intense also. They make some 3.0 tires, not sure how grippy they are though considering they use a 60 durometer rubber and most sticky tires run about 50-55. The Arrows have good grip here in Cali, but it doesn't get that wet here so I can't help you on that particular. But for loose and dry they work good.

#25 ·
BJ- said:
will do...

Check out Intense tires also. They make a 3.0 x 24, but not too sure how grippy it is since they use a 60 durometer rubber and most sticky tires use a 50-55.

The Arrows work well here in Cali, but it usually pretty dry here so I'm not sure how they would be in the wet. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.