Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any finds on cheap, big shoes?

732 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dog.gone 
#1 ·
No, not clown shoes. I want to try clipless, but don't want to invest a lot into shoes. My bike originally came with clipless pedals, but I put those in the closet when I got it. Now I'm ready to give clipless a shot. I tried on some shoes at the lbs, found a 48 or wide 47 fit well. Unfortunately all the clearance shoes I've seen on the web have been too small, and I don't want to spend $50 on a test. Any deals out theres?

#2 ·
The only brand I can give any recommendation on would be Diadora. I'm not saying they're the best or the worst but I just bought a pair and I like them. The pair I got cost $89.00. That was at my LBS so you may be able to find them somewhere through an online vendor for less. Mine don't have a buckle, just the straps. All of the shoes I tried with buckles put to much pressure on the area of my foot where the buckle was. When I loosened the buckle to relieve the pressure the shoe didn't fit right.

#3 ·
Several people have suggested that the Specialize BG Taho has a wider toe box than most MTB cycling shoes.

I have a slightly wider than average foot (E); after trying the standard (not the Mega) Sidi Dominator 5 and finding them far too tight, I went to the cheaper Sette Epic from Pricepoint. The Epic fit my wide foot very well and they appear to be true to size in terms of length.

The Sette Epic is $80, but if I recall correctly, the Sette Element is only $50 @ Pricepoint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.