Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sram for fr and dj

510 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  gratefulbiker 
#1 ·
I am looking to build up a new fr bike and have a friend that fr and loves his Sram XO grip shift. but I am wondering that when you are going dh and are adjusting your hand that you would chand the gears and it seemed to me that the brake levers had to be far out compared to my shimano. Any words of wisdom would be nice.
peace

#2 ·
my wifes bike has gripshift and i hate it...... always shifting gears while bunnyhopping or jumping. several times the gears changed more than a couple gears, causing the chain to become very un-aligned before trying to pedal, then when you go to pedal they are so far out of alignment (chain on the second cog and the derailleur is over the 6 or 7th gear) the chain snaps.....

#6 ·
the kid said:
I am looking to build up a new fr bike and have a friend that fr and loves his Sram XO grip shift. but I am wondering that when you are going dh and are adjusting your hand that you would chand the gears and it seemed to me that the brake levers had to be far out compared to my shimano. Any words of wisdom would be nice.
peace
I have the sram x9 triggers and love them. work great with the x0 rear d....

#7 ·
How is the XO for dh

I noticed it is fairly light and I have had bad expiriences with an xtr that was light weight but never worked properly. So is it worth it to have the x9 or whatever it is called or is that a big step down for a sram.
peace

#8 ·
the kid said:
I noticed it is fairly light and I have had bad expiriences with an xtr that was light weight but never worked properly. So is it worth it to have the x9 or whatever it is called or is that a big step down for a sram.
peace
The X0 is just fine for DH, crazy strong. The X9 is nice as it is a cheaper, a bit heavier but just as durable. When (if) my X0 dies I will replace with a X9

#11 · (Edited)
Actually, I was stupified by the reviews of them too, wondering how your hands feel with them...etc. I test rode a bike just because it had the x-9 trigger's on it (I belive it was a GF Cake-something) They snap through gears with a nice sence of quality, and toughness. The shifting is fast and precise, due to the x-0 rear der. and x-9 shifter quality. I am sure the ESP technology has a major part it the beautiful shifting, but I think its sram quality mixed with the ESP tech. that makes them sweet. As for the feel of shifting on your thumbs.....you actually have options on how you would like to shift with the triggers, but I found using only my thumbs to be easiest and laid back in a way. They dont get tired too much, as long as you have about 2 days MTB'ing experience...you should be fine.

#12 ·
Gramatica said:
The x-9 is a beautiful der. IMO far better then XTR.
I agree. I have X9 on my DH bike and XTR on my XC bike. I have never been able to adjust my XTR right. I always have to bring it to the shop. When I got my X9 I was able to install and adjust it my self. When my XTR goes on my XC bike its going to be replaced by Scram.

Dont know about grip shift. Never used them..........

#13 ·
the kid said:
read some reviews and you change gears with you thumb up and down. How does that work and how does your thumb hold up.
peace
Yup, you shift with your thumbs for up and down. It took about 5 minutes to get used to it, but now it makes so much sense. I can keep a finger on the brake lever AND shift either direction without thinking about it. I really like how the gear indicators are integrated into the clamp as well (not that I ever look at them).

Thumb holds up just fine, they do not take a lot of effort at all to shift.

#14 ·
Gramatica said:
Actually, I was stupified by the reviews of them too, wondering how your hands feel with them...etc. I test rode a bike just because it had the x-9 trigger's on it (I belive it was a GF Cake-something) They snap through gears with a nice sence of quality, and toughness. The shifting is fast and precise, due to the x-0 rear der. and x-9 shifter quality. I am sure the ESP technology has a major part it the beautiful shifting, but I think its sram quality mixed with the ESP tech. that makes them sweet. As for the feel of shifting on your thumbs.....you actually have options on how you would like to shift with the triggers, but I found using only my thumbs to be easiest and laid back in a way. They dont get tired too much, as long as you have about 2 days MTB'ing experience...you should be fine.
I think the fast precise shifting and the lack of ghost shifting has to do with the 1:1 ratio VS 2:1 ratio. I really notice the sram does not go "searching" for gears through really rough stuff the way my shimano stuff did. And I am comparing X0 to XTR on the same bike.

#16 ·
matt said:
what are the "rocket" and "attach" trigger shifters?
Those are the shifters sram makes with 2:1 tech. so their shimano compatable.

#17 ·
I've had the X7 shifters and der. for a season now with no problems. They are cheaper than the X9 or XO and they still work better than any of the Shimano pieces I've owned. I would suggest running full length housing for the rear as FR/DH bikes tend to do strange things to cables as they run through their travel. It helps with the ghost shifting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.