Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

IRD dual banger adjustment

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  2KSDIME 
#1 ·
Okay, so heres my issue.... (cross posted at bike forums, sorry if its a repeat for ya)

Have a IRD dual banger mech disk on front. Rotor is not bent, and pads are semi new (nery little wear.) For the life of me I cannot get it adjusted so its not rubbing. Its either too loose when its not rubbing, or rubs like crap when it works as I'd like it too. I like my front brake to be very touchy. Here is how I have adjusted them:

1. Loosen slack from cable, bottom out both barrel adjusters
2. Loosen mounting bolts
3. By hand, squeeze caliper tight, and tighten bolts, alternating between bolts 1/8 turn at a time till snug
4. Let go hand and remove slack from cable, making sure caliper arm doesn't move.

Still rubs. Wheel locks up like I want it to, but can still hear it rub. There are no tight spots when I spin the wheel, so I know the rotor is not bent, and the wheel is centered in the dropouts. (must add this is a QR wheel.) This is how the IRD manual and website says to adjust them. I have also tried the directions on the park site for adjusting Avid mech brakes, keeping in mind that when adjusting the pad adjusting knobs, that both pads move and the gap needs to be the same, not the inner gab larger. Same thing... I have also adjusted the way I would if the outer pad was fixed, as in avid brakes.

Any suggestions. I have been patient, as I know its a art to get these adjusted correctly. I am starting to think its how tight I like the brakes to be. But that shouldn't make a difference. Thanks in advance for any input.

See less See more
#4 ·
Try working the pad adjust screw. :thumbsup:

Adjusting Pad-to-Rotor Gap:
There is 3mm Allen head adjuster within the head of the
larger 5mm Allen bolt in the center of the caliper. DON’T
EVER turn the head of this exterior 5mm Allen bolt.
The 3mm bolt adjusts the OUTBOARD pad. Turn the
adjuster clockwise to move the pad closer to the rotor. Turn
it counter clockwise to move the pad further away from the
rotor.
Adjust the gap between rotor and INBOARD pad with a
5mm hex key on the other side of the brake. Turn the bolt
clockwise to move the pad closer to the rotor. Turn it
counter clockwise to move the pad away from the rotor.
Inside and outside pads should both be about 1mm from
the rotor (EQUIDISTANT— this is different from other
cable disc brakes). Excessive pad distance to the rotor will
affect brake lever throw (how far it needs to be pulled to
engage the brake) and also how far the brake actuating arm
moves. You don’t want the arm moving too far. (See Fig. 5)

#6 ·
jmadams13 said:
^^^ did that. Still a no go. Well, with a 1 -1 1/2mm gap its quite, but then they feel sloppy. Not as tight as I like. Never had issues with my old Avid brakes. Is this just the nature of the dual bangers?
I have never worked with the IRD brakes so i'm going off their setup instructions and what I have done with other mechanical brakes. They also mention centering the caliper with shims, is your caliper centered? Wonder if your getting flex or give from something. Cable housing compressing, brake lever and or holder flexing. Last resort contact IRD and see if they have any secret tricks they dont publish. :crazy:

http://www.interlocracing.com/faq_tech.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.