Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What kind of bike should I get to commute in NYC?

678 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bwheelin 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a bike to commute five miles from Queens to Manhattan and back, and was wondering if you have suggestions on what kind of bike I should get. I really don't want to spend more than $200 (because of theft possibility) and I'm 6'2" and 300lbs.

I saw this ad on Craigslist today. Any thoughts on this bike?

This is a Nishiki HardTail Mountain bike. Excellent condition, with a full tune up and good tires. Features: Aluminum rims, 18" Cro-Moly frame, Grip shifters, front shocks, Selle Stratos Hyper soft seat, 18 speeds.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/1105223573.html

#2 ·
It has to be cheap and ugly. The fcukers will steal damn near anything if you leave it outside. They'll steal the parts too.

It's kinda funny because you can park a $100k Mercedes on the street no problem. But a $200 bike seems to attract all the lowlifes and junkies within a 26 block radius.

#3 ·
Well I plan on chaining it up when I arrive at my job which is two blocks from Grand Central, so I'm hoping that with all of the foot traffic there during the day, I won't have to worry too much.

At night, I plan on carrying it up with me to my third floor apt. I'm mainly interested in what kind of bike I should get for my size, and considering the slight up and down grades of riding it to work and back on paved streets.

#4 ·
Make sure you get a large enough bike to accommodate your size. I am 6' and 200 pounds and I ride a 18'' specialized hardrock. If I was you I would definitly look into getting something a little bit bigger. But this is something that your going to have to find out for yourself, so make sure you take a bike around the block before you actually commit to using it everyday.

Keep your eyes open all over North Jersey, Suburbs of NYC and NYC. (Im talking about the listings on Craigslist) A lot of bikes pop up all the time (mostly during the weekends). There are plenty of good commuter bikes out there. Make sure you stray away from the "Walmart" bikes. Even though you may find a $100 full suspension bike. Its not worth it.

#5 ·
This might seem like blasphemy on MTBR, but have you ever thought about a fixed gear? You could get hold of an old frame and do a cheap conversion. Less parts and a low profile rattle can job. I ride a fixed gear to commute on and ride my MTB all other times and this seems to work pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.